Tracing in Visual Arts...

Acterale

Hi everyone,

My school had someone last year who got a 7 in Visual Arts HL, and you know; good for them! :) I saw their work, and they submitted these amazing realistic works that I honestly was in awe in seeing for the first time. Yet, it was admitted by my Visual Arts teacher just this year that the technical skill she exhibited wasn't true to her ability, she traced over photographs of some people.

Now, I know for some people drawing is something that is much harder than sculpture, photography etc... For me though, it is literally what I've spend a lifetime working towards, drawing and doing it realistically (love cartoons though!). I felt at little cheated by this, I've dedicated so much time in this skill; and then knowing that this component of VA isn't properly checked (because some moderators can't tell between tracing and skill and this and allowed in some schools, including mine) I just- -_- I can't plagiarize in IB, I can't go into a Maths Exam with notes, so why is deception this allowed?

I just can't get my head around this, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my post!! ^_^

In regards to the practical work submitted for your exhibition in Visual Arts, what are the rules? I feel like IB will let a lot of things slide with the arts, opinions anyone on this?? Or maybe a justification that will put me at peace with the current situation, that would be much appreciated hahaha :D:D

Edited by Acterale
  • Like 1

The arts is a very "liquid" subject in comparison to any other IB subject - just look at the fact that there is no word limit for our Comparative study, because it's simply impossible to put one down. 

As long as she makes the reference saying that she traced, I think it is ok - just like when you cite in any formal assignment. However, I totally see your point. Also remember that last year was a totally different curriculum, so much has changed now, which is good for us, because we'll have a bit more leverage in the grading because it's the first time except for the trial schools ;-) I have myself really worked on developing my technique, so I do see where you are coming from. But remember that out of our 3 components, the skill level really counts for next to nothing (which for some is good if they aren't naturals at the visual arts, annoying for those who spend a lot of time on this). 

But due to this being the first year of the new arts curriculum, I do believe that we'll do just fine, don't worry ;) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ditteee said:

The arts is a very "liquid" subject in comparison to any other IB subject - just look at the fact that there is no word limit for our Comparative study, because it's simply impossible to put one down. 

As long as she makes the reference saying that she traced, I think it is ok - just like when you cite in any formal assignment. However, I totally see your point. Also remember that last year was a totally different curriculum, so much has changed now, which is good for us, because we'll have a bit more leverage in the grading because it's the first time except for the trial schools ;-) I have myself really worked on developing my technique, so I do see where you are coming from. But remember that out of our 3 components, the skill level really counts for next to nothing (which for some is good if they aren't naturals at the visual arts, annoying for those who spend a lot of time on this). 

But due to this being the first year of the new arts curriculum, I do believe that we'll do just fine, don't worry ;) 

Thanks so much for the response, I think the fact they changed the curriculum shows that they probably wanted to test Visual Arts in more ways than just the practical. I don't think there was references for the work I was talking about, but this was last year with the previous rules and curriculum. I got a little bit hung up on that. You definitely have a point, thanks for clarifying everything. My VA teacher wasn't really clear with that. Best of luck with Visual Arts this year, and yeah its all new so I think that works in both of our favours :) 

9 hours ago, bb8-m8 said:

Art is art. If photography is a form of art, then why shouldn't tracing be? Who are you to decide what is art and was isn't?

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, I was referring to drawing skill in my original post. Tracing is a form of art when reference is properly given or when it changes the meaning, but in the instance of the situation stated it was used demonstrate a skill that the individual didn't have. I was questioning this deception, not the art itself. 

4 hours ago, Carla Doyle said:

Tracing shouldn't be an issue, I mean if you consider the fact that appropriation can also be considered an art form, tracing is in a way, a less drastic form of that. :)

All true, I just hope the markers are told if it is an appropriation when giving marks with the current guidelines :) Appropriation is a good way to get marks for conceptual features of an exhibition. I'm personally not okay with marks being given for skill in tracing, unless it is justified with other evidence that the user has a basic ability of drawing. But what the heck, my opinion doesn't matter to the IB markers. I'm basing this whole thread off what I witnessed at my school with one individual last year. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2016 at 3:46 AM, Acterale said:

Hi everyone,

My school had someone last year who got a 7 in Visual Arts HL, and you know; good for them! :) I saw their work, and they submitted these amazing realistic works that I honestly was in awe in seeing for the first time. Yet, it was admitted by my Visual Arts teacher just this year that the technical skill she exhibited wasn't true to her ability, she traced over photographs of some people.

Now, I know for some people drawing is something that is much harder than sculpture, photography etc... For me though, it is literally what I've spend a lifetime working towards, drawing and doing it realistically (love cartoons though!). I felt at little cheated by this, I've dedicated so much time in this skill; and then knowing that this component of VA isn't properly checked (because some moderators can't tell between tracing and skill and this and allowed in some schools, including mine) I just- -_- I can't plagiarize in IB, I can't go into a Maths Exam with notes, so why is deception this allowed?

I just can't get my head around this, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my post!! ^_^

In regards to the practical work submitted for your exhibition in Visual Arts, what are the rules? I feel like IB will let a lot of things slide with the arts, opinions anyone on this?? Or maybe a justification that will put me at peace with the current situation, that would be much appreciated hahaha :D:D

Don't feel cheated, just stay true to yourself. 
What people have spent years to acquire has been neglected and is discouraged out of inefficiency and the world is striving towards efficiency and growth in its blind chase for more. This issue you describe is the same with the real world of ART.
at one point art has become about the consumption of quantity and due to the lack of time, relative to the demand, people are finding excuses and false justifications for  creating false art.
there are entire exhibitions full of crap that lie entirely on the word of a critic or some silly rationale for some conceptual piece of work that has nothing to do with creating fine arts, the way people who care and  have dedicated time and effort into the skill can create art.

YESS,  I also felt cheated when I spent two years of creating big oil paintings for my exhibition and framed them, and another student in my class made her work in the time frame of a month, on wrapping paper, and stretched it with fishing lines and stones from the ceiling. Then she wasn't picked for moderation by the IB and our teacher gave her a 7. 

• Like 1