Maths IA problem

Jimmy98

Hello, I have recently done my maths IA on modeling rainfall. After I had finished it, I was looking at other examples of maths IA and I noticed that one of the samples offered by the IB did the same topic as me and also used the same methods for modeling it . The data and explanations in my IA are different, however, they are quite similar IA's. Is that a problem? or as it'a my own work i shouldn't worry?

Thank you 

I have a slightly related question to this. I'm working on my math IA and have been mostly using 2-3 pretty good resources for the methods behind my IA explanation. Some of the information is new to me and I am challenging my self, but enjoying the challenge. I think I have now completely understood the methods behind it (after much research and reading), but at the same time I am following their method. Is this plagiarism? I am not taking any data, copying any sentences or their phrasing, simply following the math steps, and then putting in my own words while doing the math (with different data) my self. I will obviously be siting my sources and using the correct bibliography format, but does this seem a bit "cheaty" or wrong as I am following their steps and methodology? Also I don't think there are many ways to "skin this cat", so this method is most likely the only one or at least the most common. Will the IB (or my teacher) see the sources and then my paper and think I just copied / followed the steps?

Edited by CX7ZMR

5 hours ago, Jimmy98 said:

Hello, I have recently done my maths IA on modeling rainfall. After I had finished it, I was looking at other examples of maths IA and I noticed that one of the samples offered by the IB did the same topic as me and also used the same methods for modeling it . The data and explanations in my IA are different, however, they are quite similar IA's. Is that a problem? or as it'a my own work i shouldn't worry?

Thank you 

Yeah I don't think plagiarism would be an issue. Best to show that to your teacher who can decide. But IB may takes some marks off for personal engagement, because the similarities. At the end you are not expected to come up with a completely new topic.

3 hours ago, CX7ZMR said:

Some of the information is new to me and I am challenging my self, but enjoying the challenge. I think I have now completely understood the methods behind it (after much research and reading), but at the same time I am following their method. Is this plagiarism? I am not taking any data, copying any sentences or their phrasing, simply following the math steps, and then putting in my own words while doing the math (with different data) my self. I will obviously be siting my sources and using the correct bibliography format, but does this seem a bit "cheaty" or wrong as I am following their steps and methodology? Also I don't think there are many ways to "skin this cat", so this method is most likely the only one or at least the most common. Will the IB (or my teacher) see the sources and then my paper and think I just copied / followed the steps?

Hi so my IA is (as I later found out) somewhat based on the Calculus option, but because I was trying to scramble something together in the last minute, I didn't read ahead I just did some own (albeit weak) manipulation. So the tradeoff is I scored low on knowledge/understanding but high on personal engagement. That doesn't always happen; you can give some personal insights for the new methods you learned, or you can ensure that without this new method you have enough math (by initially picking a good topic). You should make explicit that the methods is from a particular source, such as using intext citation. 

• Like 2