Can I do phone bank for service hours ?

I like Bernie Sanders and would like to help him for all the big dates that are coming up. I just found out on the subreddit SandersForPresident that phone bank is very important and easy to do. You don't even have to go to an office, it can be done from any computer with free apps. I am just wondering if it can count for CAS hours in service, even considering that it is a political cause. I'm in Québec, so my school is very liberal and we can usually to pretty much what we want as long as we can justify it with the CAS objectives. I also need a way to keep track of what I do to prove that I did it (I know that berniepb.com is a good site, but I don't know if it is sufficient).

Political activity

The IB has no view on whether or not it is appropriate for students to be involved in political activities as part of their educational experience. Views on this vary considerably in different cultural contexts, so it is a matter for decision at local or school level.

Basically, check with your school if it's okay for you to do it for a political cause. I can't really help with the rest since I had no idea phone banks even existed until you mentioned it.

On 2016-03-10 at 1:28 PM, Yehtox48 said:

I like Bernie Sanders and would like to help him for all the big dates that are coming up. I just found out on the subreddit SandersForPresident that phone bank is very important and easy to do. You don't even have to go to an office, it can be done from any computer with free apps. I am just wondering if it can count for CAS hours in service, even considering that it is a political cause. I'm in Québec, so my school is very liberal and we can usually to pretty much what we want as long as we can justify it with the CAS objectives. I also need a way to keep track of what I do to prove that I did it (I know that berniepb.com is a good site, but I don't know if it is sufficient).

Feel the Bern!

This is what the IB has to state about political activism and CAS hours. This is taken directly from their handbook:

The IB has no view on whether or not it is appropriate for students to be involved in political activities as part of their educational experience. Views on this vary considerably in different cultural contexts, so it is a matter for decision at local or school level.However, where such activity is locally sanctioned, there is a question about whether or not it may qualify as CAS. It may be relevant to consider the following factors:

Is the activity safe, given the local circumstances? (In you case, I would safe it is pretty safe but you could be calling some...colourful people)
Is it an activity that will cause, or worsen social divisions? (I doubt it but do check)
Where are the learning opportunities for the student involved? ( This is for you to look into. You could say it helps you deal with different types of people, but at the end, it is up to the school to decide if it is a valid learning opportunity.)