History IA Topic Help!

Jonathan Dang

I was thinking of doing something about the US takeover of the philippines. I remember from AP world that the US took after the philippines right after the spanish-american war with the treaty of paris. The US basically helped them get free from spain but then took over them. So i was thinking something like, to what extent was the US takeover of the philippines ethical? Or maybe To what extent was the philippines capable of running their own government? This one arrives from that the US reasoned their takeover with that they believed the philippines couldnt support themselves.

Both of your questions appear to be too broad given how short the IA really is. 

Your first question "US takeover of the philippines ethical?" will likely diverge from the history part. Ethical problems don't lead themselves to IAs. If you wanted to pursue this idea, I would suggest that you find a different way of phrasing ethical. Was it imperialism?, Protection?, etc The goal being to find a way to make the question sound history focused.

Your second question "To what extent was the philippines capable of running their own government?" probably needs some dates/time period. This question would allow you to look at multiple perspectives on the Philippines's ability to self govern. Unless you clearly state that your IA is only going to discuss the U.S. opinion you probably need to bring in other points of view.

~IB_taking_over

• Like 1

Both of your questions appear to be too broad given how short the IA really is. 

Your first question "US takeover of the philippines ethical?" will likely diverge from the history part. Ethical problems don't lead themselves to IAs. If you wanted to pursue this idea, I would suggest that you find a different way of phrasing ethical. Was it imperialism?, Protection?, etc The goal being to find a way to make the question sound history focused.

Your second question "To what extent was the philippines capable of running their own government?" probably needs some dates/time period. This question would allow you to look at multiple perspectives on the Philippines's ability to self govern. Unless you clearly state that your IA is only going to discuss the U.S. opinion you probably need to bring in other points of view.

~IB_taking_over

So If i added a date to the 2nd one, could it be like before and after the spanish-american war? or the american-Philippines? Im trying to work on wording the 1st. I remember that as soon as the US helped them gain independence from spain, they took over which negates the point of pushing spain out. I'm a little shaky on how to word if what the US did was right or not.