Help with this integral problem.

Guest SNJERIN

Guest SNJERIN

Hello.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with proving that Var(X)=1. Determining E(x) is straight forward but the integral for Var(X) causes me trouble, because it can't be solved using integration by part. 

post-131733-0-72948100-1454074956_thumb.

Edited by Haitham Wahid

Guest SNJERIN

For E(x) I got zero, which is the correct value. I am not sure whether it is a paper 1 or 2 question since I got it from my math book. However, since "prove" is in the question, I doubt it can be solved using GDC. 

For E(x) I got zero, which is the correct value. I am not sure whether it is a paper 1 or 2 question since I got it from my math book. However, since "prove" is in the question, I doubt it can be solved using GDC. 

okay, I got 0 as well, but I'm using my GDC. 

for the Var(x), I'm not getting 1 though. 

From the formula booklet, 

Var(x)= [integral from -infinity to +infinity of]  x2 f(x) dx - u2

since u= 0, Var(x) is just the integral right? So I TRIED graphing  x2 f(x) (which is x2/2pi * e^ -x2/2 ) and getting the integral from the calculator, but I get 0.399 instead of 1. I'm not sure where my method is wrong, but if you (or anyone else) notices, let me know :) 

how were you trying to solve it?  

Here is the proof on wikibooks.
Question 7 is the standardized normal distribution (mu = 0, sigma = 1), wikibooks proves the general case.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Statistics/Distributions/Normal_(Gaussian)#Variance
It also makes use of the (not well known) fact that
gif.latex?\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{
You just have to know this to cancel out the denominator in f(x). 

Here is another proof that does not use L'Hopital's Rule http://www.statlect.com/ucdnrm1.htm. Although you have personally proved that the E(X) is 0. 
In the link, under the standardized normal distribution, expand the proof for the variance.

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1