Survival..?

Djwelsh98

How on God's great green earth do I prepare myself for the IB HL math exam? I am drowning in the sheer amount of content and the wording of the problems. The IA is destroying me and I don't know what to do. How should I study? What do I do to prepare? How do I survive this Hell Level class?

• Like 2

Too much stress? Too much content? I think these two factors cancel out. Drowning? Alas stay on top of di wave, becos the joyous period awaits! When the exploration gets too complex, get rid of di real struggles and the rest will be imaginary. dx thing to do is to study bit by bit, because soon you'll functionally cover all the content. Don't only survive the torture, derive a solution.

• Like 1

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

But on a more serious note - just start revising earlier! Go through papers and see exactly what you don't understand and then drill it in. You still have five months!

Edited by Yugalarex
  • Like 2

In the words of the wise Ron Weasley: "You're gonna suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it". Do every single past paper that you can find, buy a study guide like this one here, and these YouTube channels helped me heaps:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKaOqEqzYzTP1sLu6SxBkg/playlists

https://www.youtube.com/user/patrickJMT/playlists

Practice, practice, practice. The more exposure to past IB questions, the better. I wish you the best of luck!

• Like 1

How on God's great green earth do I prepare myself for the IB HL math exam? I am drowning in the sheer amount of content and the wording of the problems. The IA is destroying me and I don't know what to do. How should I study? What do I do to prepare? How do I survive this Hell Level class?

For the exams: PRACTICE! do every past paper you can find (don't time them at first, just make sure you finish them-- after you've done 4 or so, start timing yourself). Look at the problems you can't solve- what do they have in common? do they all contain complex numbers? do integrals show up often? look at them and you will have the topics that you need to review the most. Go back to your textbook and your notes! Make sure you've done each and every exercise in your textbook, and re-do the more complicated ones. Look up videos in youtube explaining the topics that are harder for you, maybe even find some study guides. But really, it's no secret: practice, practice, practice until the problems all look solvable and bearable (and there's always going to be that one question in the exam which you have no idea how to answer, so I wouldn't worry too much if you can't answer ALL of the questions). 

For the IA: I'm hoping you've chosen your topic already (otherwise do so ASAP- and try to choose something that you're interested in, so when you have to input the time you don't suffer as much). Really, for the IA, you have to sit down for 3 hours non-stop and write it up. If you do that two or three times, you should be alright. The thing is you have to sit down and say okay now I won't do anything but the IA for ___ hours, and convince yourself to type it up.

good luck!