Religion and CAS

Sabine3

I know that promoting any religion does not accord with CAS objectives. However, would participating in the Bible Bowl count for any CAS strand. It is a competition of 3-12th grade students that memorize a certain book of the Bible and compete to see who knows it best. This would take discipline and dedication to learn the material well enough to compete and there would be no preaching or evangelizing involved. Would this count for CAS? If so what strand?

I'd say I'm skeptical. As Rosalina said, memorizing a bunch of things about the bible, even for a competition, doesn't seem like a safe bet.

Some definitions from the official website:

Creativity: arts, and other experiences that involve creative thinking.

Action: physical exertion contributing to a healthy lifestyle, complementing academic work elsewhere in the Diploma Programme.

Service: an unpaid and voluntary exchange that has a learning benefit for the student. The rights, dignity and autonomy of all those involved are respected.

The only definition it can be relate to is creativity (for obvious reasons), but "memorizing a certain book in the bible" doesn't exactly involve creative thinking. 

Also, there are some note about religion in the website (which I am sure you are aware of, but just to be safe):

Note about religion:

It is recognized that this is a sensitive and difficult area. Nevertheless, the general rule is that religious devotion, and any activity that can be interpreted as proselytizing, does not count as CAS. Some relevant guiding principles are that CAS activities should enlarge students’ experience, encourage them towards greater understanding of people from different social or cultural backgrounds and include specific goals. By these criteria, work done by a religious group in the wider community, provided that the objectives are clearly secular, may qualify as CAS. Another key issue is whether students are able to make choices and use their initiative

I just feel like the whole purpose of the competition is to have a better understanding/motivation to study the bible.

There isn't much of a secular purpose otherwise.

Edited by Elca