Need Help w/ History IA Topic Question

Plaudible

For my topic, I'm researching the No Gun Ri Massacre during the Korean War in which several hundred Korean civilians were shot under a bridge, as the U.S. Army was instructed to in case of North Korean spies, and the effects/signifiance of it. I have enough sources to gather information for it to write a good IA but my problem is pulling a question from this. For the life of me I just can't figure one out! The problem is that the massacre went largely unknown until around the 1990s, 40-50 years after the war, so there isn't very much I can write a question on. It didn't carry too much significance in the war, but it did show the lack of proper communication. Maybe I could go somewhere with that or the issues the victims had in years to follow, but I'm not sure.

I'm probably missing something big here >_< I'm not asking for someone to hand me a question but maybe guide me in the right direction. Could I go somewhere with this or do I need a new topic? Thanks for the help!

For my topic, I'm researching the No Gun Ri Massacre during the Korean War in which several hundred Korean civilians were shot under a bridge, as the U.S. Army was instructed to in case of North Korean spies, and the effects/signifiance of it. I have enough sources to gather information for it to write a good IA but my problem is pulling a question from this. For the life of me I just can't figure one out! The problem is that the massacre went largely unknown until around the 1990s, 40-50 years after the war, so there isn't very much I can write a question on. It didn't carry too much significance in the war, but it did show the lack of proper communication. Maybe I could go somewhere with that or the issues the victims had in years to follow, but I'm not sure.

I'm probably missing something big here >_< I'm not asking for someone to hand me a question but maybe guide me in the right direction. Could I go somewhere with this or do I need a new topic? Thanks for the help!

Maybe you can focus on the effects of the Massacre and see which one stands out to you the most? 

Maybe you can focus on the effects of the Massacre and see which one stands out to you the most? 

Sorry, not sure if I outlined it enough. There were little to no effects as far as I read. After it happened, there were multiple reports about it but it was hardly mentioned afterwards. Survivors and victims' relatives didn't get a response to their pleas for compensation for many years. It was an event early on in the war and had insignificant impact in regards to events later on, which is why I'm a bit iffy about it. :/ Investigations didn't happen until around 1999, but I wanted to see if there's any other way I could pull a question from this topic.

Edited by Plaudible

You could discuss something about the significance of American involvement in the Korean war on the civilians? (It's poor I know, but work something in about the importance of their involvement and how the No Gun Ri massacre was a result of it)

Or you could discuss the military strategies used by the Americans as a result of their involvement in the Korean war and then have espionage as an argument (since you mentioned they killed them on the suspicion of spies) or something about civilian involvement in the Korean war?

Sorry, I don't know much about the topic so they're pretty vague ideas...

• Like 1

If there aren't many effects from that specific event or if you cant find any on social policy/foreign policy/ lives/ whether it led to another battle or not, then it's not a good topic or research question. I knwo that you might find it interesting especially because not many know about it, but history is mainly concerned with the study of cause and effect. You will even find that paper twos  ask you to analyze the effects (or so whats) about every point and piece of evidence because what happens next matters. Its why historys so interesting becuase you could become the saviour of many by studying the actions of a few.

Anyway, to make things easier on ourself especially since you're in DP1, id recomend doing something about a totalitarian state or leader. For instance Gamal abdel Nasser, Castro, Mao and so on because not only are the opportunities endless for them, but working n them will help you in your paper 2's when you're asked to analyze 2 SPS dictators. I'd reccomend doing a left wing dictator (castro, nasser, stalin) because you're going to study a right wing one (hitler) very soon i think.  I based my research question on Nasser and there were so many similarities and contrasts between him hitler and castro. 

Think smart.