What subjects should I choose for medicine?

moonlightlivi

Here are the subjects I'm thinking of doing:

English SL

Japanese B HL

Psychology HL

Biology HL

Chemistry SL

Math SL

I'm not the *best* at writing essays, but should I change to English HL and Psychology SL? Or are these subjects ok?

If there are other recommendations please tell me!

I'm not 100% sure what I want to study in college, but I know I want it to be related to medicine.

Thank you!

English SL

Japanese B HL

Psychology HL

Biology HL

Chemistry SL

Math SL

I'm not the *best* at writing essays, but should I change to English HL and Psychology SL? Or are these subjects ok?

I'm not 100% sure what I want to study in college, but I know I want it to be related to medicine.

Thank you!

Umm first off, what unis are you considering? If you're trying for the top ones, in terms of medicine, it's probably a good idea to have chem HL as well unless your school doesn't offer it. Other than that, what's great is that you have biology HL. That's a must for medicine (Y) If you're not that good with writing essays, I'd say stick with English SL even though there's not much of a difference between HL and SL for English. I think the only difference is in the standards they expect. In terms of assessments, it apparently takes less to get into the top categories for SL compared to HL. 

• Like 1

English SL

Japanese B HL

Psychology HL

Biology HL

Chemistry SL

Math SL

Thank you!

Umm first off, what unis are you considering? If you're trying for the top ones, in terms of medicine, it's probably a good idea to have chem HL as well unless your school doesn't offer it. Other than that, what's great is that you have biology HL. That's a must for medicine (Y) If you're not that good with writing essays, I'd say stick with English SL even though there's not much of a difference between HL and SL for English. I think the only difference is in the standards they expect. In terms of assessments, it apparently takes less to get into the top categories for SL compared to HL. 

Thanks for your reply!  :D

I have considered taking Chem HL, but my current math class is aimed more towards people for Math Studies, and (at least in my school) we cannot take Chemistry HL unless we have *at least* Math SL. So taking Math SL is already going to be a challenge for me. However, my scores in math and chemistry at the moment are fairly good.

Do you think I should still take Chem HL?

English SL

Japanese B HL

Psychology HL

Biology HL

Chemistry SL

Math SL

Thank you!

Thanks for your reply!  :D

I have considered taking Chem HL, but my current math class is aimed more towards people for Math Studies, and (at least in my school) we cannot take Chemistry HL unless we have *at least* Math SL. So taking Math SL is already going to be a challenge for me. However, my scores in math and chemistry at the moment are fairly good.

Do you think I should still take Chem HL?

Umm it would be a good idea if you're trying for top unis, and I also just read a thread on here that said most unis require chem HL. Have you tried talking to your IB coordinator about this because they know a lot more about this than I do probably :P Also, look at what unis you're interested in and check their requirements. 

It depends on where you want to apply. Chemistry HL is a requirement for the UK, but for some/most universities in Australia it's okay to have SL and in New Zealand it's perfectly okay. I can't give you advice about any other countries. If you know what universities you want to go, check their sites or call them; otherwise, look at least narrow down the countries and look at some universities anyway, which will give you a better idea.