Any advice from law students?

utbd

Hello everyone!

I just started PreIB and I realised that I dont really know what I want to be in the future. I know it's something in the social science area, but not really sure what. I've been interested in law since I was a kid, but ive never really seen myself studying law. A lot of people that start studying law say that they dont like it anymore and drop out, and im scared that that will happen to me too, so ive never considered it for real. But now Ive started looking at some universities, and im interested in studying law.

Currently, I have chosen these 6 subjects:

1. Swe A langlit SL

2. Eng B HL

3. Economics HL

4. Environmental systems and societies SL

5. Math SL

6. Business & Management HL

- Could I still study law with these subjects?

- What are some important requirements that law schools have, that I already need to start thinking about now?

- What are some good universities (except for harvard etc.)

- What other careers do you suggest (with these subjects)?

- What do you need to be good at to study this?

- Your experience with studying law/ law schools?

Im thankful for all answers and advice!

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for tl;dr  :P )

I can answer most of your law related questions, but for my advice to be useful/applicable, I need to know what countries you want to apply to. 

On the first look, I'd say don't take Econ with B&M, as they are seen as fairly similar and generally not recommended to be taken together. B&M is sometimes seen as a soft subject. ESS might not be seen as a very 'academic', but if you're not good at science, this might be your best bet. 

Guest beyondtheimagine

Hello everyone!

I just started PreIB and I realised that I dont really know what I want to be in the future. I know it's something in the social science area, but not really sure what. I've been interested in law since I was a kid, but ive never really seen myself studying law. A lot of people that start studying law say that they dont like it anymore and drop out, and im scared that that will happen to me too, so ive never considered it for real. But now Ive started looking at some universities, and im interested in studying law.

1. Swe A langlit SL

2. Eng B HL

3. Economics HL

5. Math SL

- What are some important requirements that law schools have, that I already need to start thinking about now?

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for tl;dr  :P )

Hello! 

I'm not to sure what is the expectations to apply in Sweden but here's the answer to your questions if you wanted to study in Canada:

1) Yes you can study law with those subjects. All universities in canada, requires you do a undergraduate for about 3 years.

2) Here's a link that will answer your question 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/olsas/rc_olsas_e.pdf

The link basically talks about the requirements in law schools in the province of Ontario. Most provinces share the same requirements.

3) Good universities in Canada: 

http://universityhub.ca/best-law-schools-in-canada/

This link breaks down everything about the law school and the university itself.

4) Business, like a bachelor in commerce. Maybe a teacher as well. 

5) I'm not too sure. Have a good interest in law and want to help others, and be able to talk to others. If you don't like to voice your opinion, don't consider law because you have to voice your opinion in court, etc. 

6) I have no experience, I just been to some open houses and i have a friend that is currently studying law. 

I hope this helps!

Chantel  :D

Edited by beyondtheimagine

I can answer most of your law related questions, but for my advice to be useful/applicable, I need to know what countries you want to apply to.

On the first look, I'd say don't take Econ with B&M, as they are seen as fairly similar and generally not recommended to be taken together. B&M is sometimes seen as a soft subject. ESS might not be seen as a very 'academic', but if you're not good at science, this might be your best bet.

The top countries I want to apply to are the US or the UK, but since they can be a bit pricey, I was maybe thinking Sweden or maybe Poland (since im polish). :)

Hello everyone!

1. Swe A langlit SL

2. Eng B HL

3. Economics HL

5. Math SL

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for tl;dr :P )

Hello!

I'm not to sure what is the expectations to apply in Sweden but here's the answer to your questions if you wanted to study in Canada:

1) Yes you can study law with those subjects. All universities in canada, requires you do a undergraduate for about 3 years.

The link basically talks about the requirements in law schools in the province of Ontario. Most provinces share the same requirements.

This link breaks down everything about the law school and the university itself.

5) I'm not too sure. Have a good interest in law and want to help others, and be able to talk to others. If you don't like to voice your opinion, don't consider law because you have to voice your opinion in court, etc.

6) I have no experience, I just been to some open houses and i have a friend that is currently studying law.

I hope this helps!
Chantel :D

Thank you so much for your advice! :) really appreciate it

The top countries I want to apply to are the US or the UK, but since they can be a bit pricey, I was maybe thinking Sweden or maybe Poland (since im polish). :)

Hello everyone!

1. Swe A langlit SL

2. Eng B HL

3. Economics HL

5. Math SL

Hello!

I hope this helps!

For Poland, I'd strongly advise taking History HL, it's required by a lot of universities, as far as I know (though I never applied in Poland). 

Sweden - sorry, no idea, you should check the entry requirements with local universities

US - just like Canada, law is a postgraduate degree, so your subject choices won't really matter much since you need to do an undergrad first anyway 

UK 

Your subjects are ok, but, as I said before, I wouldn't take both Econ and B&M. You could think of swapping B&M for History, if that's possible, or another social science. 

They want to see a genuine interest in studying law as an academic subject, NOT becoming a lawyer. There's a difference and you need to understand this before you apply. It's also good to have some debating/mooting/public speaking/local youth government/etc experience under your belt. It's not a requirement, but being able to voice your opinions quickly, clearly and succinctly is a very important ability for any law student. Shadowing a lawyer could also be useful, as it'd give you an idea of what they do on day to day basis (and see if you even want to be a lawyer at all). Critical thinking and ability to read piles and piles of text are also useful.

Obviously, Oxbridge, but any Russel Group university will give you high quality education. UCL, KCL, Queen Mary, LSE, Durham, Warwick all have strong law schools. In Poland: UW, UJ, Uniwersytet Wroclawski, UAM, UG all are strong, high quality facilities. 

There's a lot of things you can do with these. I recommend having a look through university websites to see what degrees they offer and see what interests you

As I said - critical thinking and reading quickly. Forming arguments. Not be scared of public speaking (at least not scared to death). Writing - concise and to the point. Drawing conclusions from the reading you've done. An open mind. Willingness to ask a lot of "what if' questions when solving problem questions. 

I personally didn't like law school. For me, it was too much time spent in books, reading textbooks and cases and legal journals, and writing essays that I felt didn't really improve my knowledge much. I also realised that I was learning stuff that I didn't really care about, and that's difficult at a university level. Bear in mind, however, that I went to Oxford which has its own weird ways and other law schools may have different approaches to teaching. If you're really interested in law, studying it can be a fabulous journey. :) I ended up switching to Business Studies and I'm happy where I am. The most important thing is finding the right place for you :)

• Like 2

Hello everyone!

1. Swe A langlit SL

2. Eng B HL

3. Economics HL

5. Math SL

Hello!

I hope this helps!

For Poland, I'd strongly advise taking History HL, it's required by a lot of universities, as far as I know (though I never applied in Poland). 

Sweden - sorry, no idea, you should check the entry requirements with local universities

US - just like Canada, law is a postgraduate degree, so your subject choices won't really matter much since you need to do an undergrad first anyway 

UK 

Your subjects are ok, but, as I said before, I wouldn't take both Econ and B&M. You could think of swapping B&M for History, if that's possible, or another social science. 

They want to see a genuine interest in studying law as an academic subject, NOT becoming a lawyer. There's a difference and you need to understand this before you apply. It's also good to have some debating/mooting/public speaking/local youth government/etc experience under your belt. It's not a requirement, but being able to voice your opinions quickly, clearly and succinctly is a very important ability for any law student. Shadowing a lawyer could also be useful, as it'd give you an idea of what they do on day to day basis (and see if you even want to be a lawyer at all). Critical thinking and ability to read piles and piles of text are also useful.

Obviously, Oxbridge, but any Russel Group university will give you high quality education. UCL, KCL, Queen Mary, LSE, Durham, Warwick all have strong law schools. In Poland: UW, UJ, Uniwersytet Wroclawski, UAM, UG all are strong, high quality facilities. 

There's a lot of things you can do with these. I recommend having a look through university websites to see what degrees they offer and see what interests you

As I said - critical thinking and reading quickly. Forming arguments. Not be scared of public speaking (at least not scared to death). Writing - concise and to the point. Drawing conclusions from the reading you've done. An open mind. Willingness to ask a lot of "what if' questions when solving problem questions. 

I personally didn't like law school. For me, it was too much time spent in books, reading textbooks and cases and legal journals, and writing essays that I felt didn't really improve my knowledge much. I also realised that I was learning stuff that I didn't really care about, and that's difficult at a university level. Bear in mind, however, that I went to Oxford which has its own weird ways and other law schools may have different approaches to teaching. If you're really interested in law, studying it can be a fabulous journey. :) I ended up switching to Business Studies and I'm happy where I am. The most important thing is finding the right place for you :)

Hello again!

Thank you so much for answering my questions, I really love this website and how helpful people are here  :D

I didnt know it was possible to shadow a lawyer, so thanks for the tip!