Which subjects should i choose?

utbd

Hi,

right now i'm in Pre-IB and I have to choose the subjects i'm going to have in DP1 and DP2. I'm pretty nervous because I don't know what i should choose...

Im sure im not the first person to have this problem, but i need some help from previous IB students. Before you ask, I don't know what I want to work with in the future, but I know i'm interested in the "social direction", meaning i'm interested in the social sciences etc.

Some things that i'm not good at: speaking/presenting in front of a lot of people and chemistry/physics.

So this is basically what I was planning on taking (yes i'm thinking of 7 subjects):

#

1. Swe A langlit SL/HL

2. Eng B HL

3. Economics SL/HL

4. Environmental systems and societies SL

5. Math SL

6. Business & Management HL

(7. Global Politics SL or Spanish SL)

- Could someone please tell me something about the difference in Economics HL and SL? Because i'm not really gifted in economics, but I still think its pretty fun and relatively easy.

- What are your experiences with the subjects i mentioned above? Are they worth taking etc.

- Is it really that hard having 7 subjects, when 4 are SL and 3 are HL? 

Thanks!

UPDATE:

So i chose :

1. Swe A langlit SL

2. Eng B HL
3. Economics HL

4. Environmental systems and societies SL

5. Math SL

6. B&M HL

I'm really happy with my choices and I can't wait to start taking the courses  :D 
Thanks for the help!

Edited by utbd

firstly, i'd like to believe that you do know that you can't take 7 subjects in the IB. in any case, your '7th subject' would be a sort of remedial course but you don't register for it or have any assessments (whether you want to have in - school assessments is your choice.) If it really isn't necessary, I suggest you drop that 7th subject and free yourself some time.

secondly, having 4 HL subjects 2SL is definitely harder than having 3HL 3 SL. since you wanna go into social sciences i suggest you keep both bm & econs at HL and drop either of the languages to SL.. i'd suggest Swedish lang/lit but it's up to you.

lastly, speaking of econs, im a 1st year student but so far i think the only difference between econs HL & SL is the calculation stuff, such as demand & supply functions etc, a few extensions on some chapters and this whole big ass chapter known as 'the theory of the firm' otherwise titled 'costs, revenues and profits' in the oxford ib dp textbook. i have a strong background in econs from IGCSE and im good at it but in all fairness i dont think its such a difficult subject and given you put some effort into it, you'll be fine, i mean it's not like chemistry where SL is alright and HL is just.. diabolical. However econs would probably require a lot of reading from other sources and not just your textbook and class notes as it's  broad subject and requires lots of application and common sense (the way I see it). the truth is no subject is actually 'easy' but you can make them less difficult by putting work into it and if you do that with econs and any other subject, you'll be just fine. good luck! :)

Edited by freddya
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your help! You've definitely given me some insight on economics, which i tbh was most worried about :)

You don't need to be worried about this subject. Its one of the easy subjects in IB. Its also very scoring, especially if you've taken HL, which I see you have. You'll need to pay attention to the theory of firms, which I think is the only tough part about the whole course, the rest is nothing, more so if you're from IGCSE. Even the IAs are not that challenging. No wonder its one of the commonest subjects xp