Physics at Uni without Maths HL?

alexalexalex

Hello,

So right now im in grade 10 and Im going to be starting the IB next year.

The subjects I've signed up for are:

HL Maths

HL Physics

HL Chemistry

HL Geography

SL English

SL German B

I really really love physics and all it's something I want to do at Uni.

Right now im in the Additional Maths IGCSE class and it's going alright (~+80% on tests generally) and im just really scared im not going to be able to make it in HL Maths, it's a bit like if I can't get 7s or sometimes 6s before the IB how am I going to even be able to get a 5 once in the IB.

Either way, basically, IF I were to get really bad grades in HL Maths and therefore changing down to SL. Do you guys still know of any physics-y-ish undergrad courses I could apply to?

Thanks!

Hi!

First of all, depends on where do you want to apply to - consider the countries/unis and check the particular IB requirements, if they have any. I'm now in the first year of undergrad physics in Austria, and the only things they cared about during admission were: 

• If I've done all the admission paperwork correctly (A multi step process, should you be interested in details, please write)
  • If I have my language certificate - German proficiency 
  • If I've officially completed high school.

Point being, they didn't care, at all, about neither my score, nor subjects, nor subject levels. Just that I have the diploma and am a high school graduate. I've even done the admission way before receiving my official diploma, only with the IBIS imprint of results (signed by my school's officials). 

However. And this is a big one. 

Undergrad physics means A LOT of maths. Lots and lots more than in IB Physics, which is essentially designed so that even someone taking Maths Studies can take HL Physics. In uni... Not the case. Oh hell not. Out of 5 subjects we're required to take in the first semester, 4 of them are maths - Analysis, Linear Algebra, Vector/tensor based maths, and an introductory maths course. Now, I've passed this introductory course with the grade of 2 (1 being the best), almost solely thanks to the IB HL Maths. It was only near the end of the course that we got a few new topics thrown in - that haven't been covered in HL - for example, multiple and line integrals. So, even if not officially required, having HL Maths will help you tremendously. Trust me on that.

And I see your exams are only in '18 - meaning, you still have more than enough time to prepare and ace HL. Essentially, it boils down to how much work you're willing to put in it. 

Btw, two questions: Do you really need to take 4 HLs? It's a huge amount of work, especially the Maths-Physics-Chem combo, and it's hardly ever needed. You might want to consider dropping one of your HLs to SL. :)

• Like 2

It is recommend. Even if it's not required everywhere it will help in the university. At least that's what our career counselor said when she was speaking about different careers physics included. And it might be required in your dream uni anyway.

I would try HL and drop to SL if you can't. That's what I decided to do and I love math HL.

• Like 1

Hi!

First of all, depends on where do you want to apply to - consider the countries/unis and check the particular IB requirements, if they have any. I'm now in the first year of undergrad physics in Austria, and the only things they cared about during admission were: 

• If I've done all the admission paperwork correctly (A multi step process, should you be interested in details, please write)
Point being, they didn't care, at all, about neither my score, nor subjects, nor subject levels. Just that I have the diploma and am a high school graduate. I've even done the admission way before receiving my official diploma, only with the IBIS imprint of results (signed by my school's officials). 

Undergrad physics means A LOT of maths. Lots and lots more than in IB Physics, which is essentially designed so that even someone taking Maths Studies can take HL Physics. In uni... Not the case. Oh hell not. Out of 5 subjects we're required to take in the first semester, 4 of them are maths - Analysis, Linear Algebra, Vector/tensor based maths, and an introductory maths course. Now, I've passed this introductory course with the grade of 2 (1 being the best), almost solely thanks to the IB HL Maths. It was only near the end of the course that we got a few new topics thrown in - that haven't been covered in HL - for example, multiple and line integrals. So, even if not officially required, having HL Maths will help you tremendously. Trust me on that.

And I see your exams are only in '18 - meaning, you still have more than enough time to prepare and ace HL. Essentially, it boils down to how much work you're willing to put in it. 

Btw, two questions: Do you really need to take 4 HLs? It's a huge amount of work, especially the Maths-Physics-Chem combo, and it's hardly ever needed. You might want to consider dropping one of your HLs to SL. :)

Heyy :) thank you so much!

Firstly, well yes I really WANT to keep HL Maths but im just kinda imagining the worst case scenario and what I would do then..

And yes, Im definitely planning on dropping one, it's just our school really really recommends us to begin with 4 HLs if we take Maths HL (as A LOT of people from "normal" Maths (im in Additional) totally underestimate HL Maths)

• Like 1

^ This is a side note.
In my school we have limited number of HLs to choose from so they are pushing everyone to HL Math and they "ease" the difficult to us, such us by giving us more difficult tests while learning the math prerequisites. The required average time spent per mark in HL Math is 1 minute, and we moved towards that goal by starting from 1 min 45 sec ~ 2 min ish, and not giving us the actual exam difficulty. We progressively got more harder questions (as in, greater frequency) and shorter time control.

As you can see from my signature im taking the same subjects as you except for language B, but different levels. Geography is also a subject many people underestimate. Lots of case studies and essay writing. With the right instructors all 4 of your HLs are manageable. 

Hi!

Heyy :) thank you so much!

Firstly, well yes I really WANT to keep HL Maths but im just kinda imagining the worst case scenario and what I would do then..

And yes, Im definitely planning on dropping one, it's just our school really really recommends us to begin with 4 HLs if we take Maths HL (as A LOT of people from "normal" Maths (im in Additional) totally underestimate HL Maths)

No problem, happy to help! :) If you have any other questions, feel free to write. 

The worst case, as mentioned by Emilia, would be that you drop to SL. And that's not a bad thing! I have a friend who started off with HL, then a bit before the exams dropped it to SL - got a better grade, less stress with preparation, as he had an amazing foundation for SL course, and is now happily enrolled in Computer Science which again wants HL and beyond. And he's doing great. 

I'd suggest dropping Chemistry or Geography, especially if you don't want to pursue these fields. I started off with HL Chem, but dropped at the end of the first year, the first time we were allowed - my school has some deadlines on its own. Taking HL for a year helped me a lot, giving me a good base for anything Chem-related I might happen to need later, but it was just too much work for the exams themselves. I got a 7 in SL while barely studying. :) 

And, @kw0573, that sounds like a cool tactic. We never used anything like that, but our teacher was always setting tests around the actual exam difficulty, and timed and scored accordingly. I can still hear her voice inside my head going "Minute per mark, *name*, minute per mark!" which decidedly made me work fast enough. :)

• Like 1

Either way, basically, IF I were to get really bad grades in HL Maths and therefore changing down to SL. Do you guys still know of any physics-y-ish undergrad courses I could apply to?

Thanks!

I want to add something unrelated to my first response.

The very very elite (and often, very very competitive) undergrad schools will want to see that you are challenging yourself with the hardest courses available to you. For most engineering schools, SL Math is sufficient for admissions.

The only thing is not admission, but getting used to the undergraduate curriculum. You will be much prepared for undergraduate, especially first-year, math and physics courses if you take HL Math. For example in magnetism (typically covered in first-year physics), you will be applying math theorems outside of HL curriculum. Learning HL Math will help you pave the foundations to understand these theorems. 

For more on relation of IB Math and Physics, talk to IBprincess. http://www.ibsurvival.com/user/140080-ibprincess/

I did HL maths, physics and geography, and I most definitely recommend dropping geography down to SL if you're doing chem HL. Geography HL requires for you to basically memorise another textbook and it's an insane amount of work to do (trust me on this!!).

I am not the strongest HL maths student there is - I would go as far as to say that I suck. However, I managed to pull through and still obtain decent marks. I reckon if you put the work into it, you can easily get a 5+. As for physics courses without HL maths, you could probably get away with doing a general bachelor of science degree and major in physics - although this depends on the country and the university.

Edited by El :3