Does Universities require previous work experience in a medical environment for nursing and or medicine?

Oscarthecat3

Hello,

I have recently received two unsuccesful Uni applications, In a chosen field of nursing. My top applications being rejected, hits hard especially knowing entry requirements were bare minimum (24 points) :sadnod: . ( I'm predicted 35 -36)

I would really appreciate some advice; do I need to have work experience in a hospital?

Edited by Oscarthecat3

If you didn't meet the entry requirements then obviously they wouldn't take you in

OP had a 35-36 predicted. Entry requirements for his/her course are 24 points.

And OP, generally speaking, medical schools/undergrad programs really like you having work experience in a medical environment (in the UK), but there are other factors they consider too.

OP didn't say what he/she had predicted when I saw the post

If you didn't meet the entry requirements then obviously they wouldn't take you in

OP had a 35-36 predicted. Entry requirements for his/her course are 24 points.

And OP, generally speaking, medical schools/undergrad programs really like you having work experience in a medical environment (in the UK), but there are other factors they consider too.

OP didn't say what he/she had predicted when I saw the post

sorry about that

• 1 month later...

It's not always all about grades. Other factors are important such as work experience and your personal statement. Even if you meet and exceed the grades they are asking for, a poor personal statement will let you down, as I think you've already identified. Some kind of relevant work experience will certainly strengthen your application enormously. It's hard to say whether that was the only reason you were rejected without having been on the panel, but as you're obviously academically competent then it's a decent guess that your problem lies in the experience/personal statement aspect of your application.

You can contact Universities to ask why they rejected your application, and the feedback from that might be very useful for you!

I'd also suggest getting somebody to read your Personal Statement to see what that was like and whether it was perhaps a problem. I'd be happy to help you with it, if you wish to send me a message.