Applying later for Canadian universities... help!

Abubla

So I have my mock exams during these next two weeks, and according to my IB coordinator these mocks will 100% be our predicted grades that we send off to universities. (whatever I get in these exams are my predicted)

I am NOT prepared whatsoever, pre-mocks I was predicted 32 (including 2 bonus points) and i'm afraid mocks will only lower this...

Another issue is that I'm applying for engineering in places like U of T, Mcmasters, UOIT and York

So, I was wondering if I could somehow apply using my FINAL grades to a Canadian university (even though deadlines are in feb/march) without taking a gap year? I've read about taking a semester off but I'm not sure how that works.

Tl;dr: My current predicted grades suck, I want to apply to a canadian uni using my FINAL IB scores without missing a whole year of university... is this possible and if so can someone please give me some details on this process. :D

ALSO! If anyone has been accepted into engineering courses in canada with my IB points or similar to 32, please let me know so I don't stress and cry all night, thanks!

Predicteds pre-mocks:

HL Eng 5

HL B&M 6

HL Chem 4

SL math 4

SL phys 5

French AB 6

+2 bonus points

It appears that only York University out of the four unis you mentioned accept Spring enrollment, which would be Jan 2017 enrollment with applications due Nov 2016.
http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/requirements/deadlines

If you consider applying to Australian universities then they will have similar Oct / Noc application deadlines for THEIR fall enrollment (spring in the northern hemisphere).

If you are thinking of engineering then perhaps you should aim to get higher marks in chemistry, math and physics. 32 is above the minimum IB requirement (30) for U of T (i didn't check the ones for other unis) so try your best on these mocks and decide from there.

EDIT
What I mean is you should place doing well on these mocks as your utmost priority right now. You can decide about how and when to apply afterwards.

Edited by kw0573

U of T requires a minimum of 29 IB points to consider your application, you just need more points to be more competitive for the particular program you are applying to (especially engineering since it is very competitive). 

You could try other schools in Canada as some of them really like international students because they pay a higher tuition than Canadian students. Don't be discouraged! Take a look at Ryerson University (also in Toronto), University of Alberta, University of Western Ontario, University of Waterloo, University of Ottawa? 

Also, TOK and EE points are not counted in your IB predicted grades. 

You can't apply for Canadian schools with your real IB for Fall 2016 points because most of the application deadlines are in February (some are January 15th so hurry up!) I think you can apply for the January term but not all colleges offer that and I would advise against it if you are used to the Sept-May school year. Check on the school's website and find out whether or not they offer a January term and find out when their deadline is for that. 

As the other user said, try to do your best on these mock exams! Good luck!

Edited by im12345
  • Like 1

Also, TOK and EE points are not counted in your IB predicted grades. 

I believe this is a case-by-case basis. Typically they are included unless otherwise stated "subject points only" or words to that effect (OWTTE, anybody?) McGill University, for example, specifies subject points. I don't think U of T does. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much for the quick replies. I think you guys are right and I shouldn't wait for final results and possibly miss a large chunk of time. I've been speaking to teachers and it seems my chemistry teacher is willing to boost me to a 5 as long as my paper 1,2,3 average to a 5 (I already did my paper 3 Mock and got a very high 5)

So I believe what I'm able to do is sort of mix and match with chemistry for my predicted but only because this teacher doesn't absolutely despise me. I managed to move math up to a 5 as I was 3% off it anyway.

So in theory I can get a total of 34 including bonus points which I believe is the best it's going to get (my mocks started yesterday and I've already messed up business paper 2 but my teacher doesn't know it yet)

Also, I'm actually a Canadian citizen so I'm applying as a domestic student for reduced tuition :/

But yeah I'll be able to only pick out my chemistry grade from these mocks and the rest will stay unchanged as I won't be collecting the marks ASAP unlike chemistry. Thank you both for the advice and encouragement :D I'll work towards that 5 in chemistry HL as its on next Wednesday

• Like 2

You could get into all these universities, as your grade is already above their minimum requirement. However, there are other candidates as well who will have higher scores than you and if the competition is high, then you might not get in.. Either way, I think you should apply as soon as your mocks are over and maybe try to convince one or two of your teachers to increase your grade by 1. It doesn't look like much, but it will make a difference. If you don't want to apply, you can try for Jan 2017 applications or wait for a whole year.

I hope this helped. Good luck for your mocks!  :lol:  :gluck: