Data collection in a math IA

NiCKEL

I'm lost on what a math IA is like...is real life data collection/usage as important here as it is in a science IA? Are there any cases where you can basically take a formula, and use numbers that are NOT real statistics?

Also, does the IA have to solve a specific problem? I was reading an IA (the one about Florence Nightingale's polar diagrams) and it felt like it was basically the writer creating their own diagrams using some data he/she found. I understnad in that example the person basically created these diagrams without "instructions" and that was pretty difficult, but I can't imagine structuring an RQ around that...

Maybe I'm too stuck in the perspective of science IAs? Any guidance?

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I believe real life data collection may help with personal engagement, I don't believe it'll be too much of a problem in the Maths IA. There are same cases in which you really can't get data. You do need a reason you're doing whatever you're doing, but more often than not, I believe people make it up, which isn't the best option. However, some people just state that they're interested in this area, or even (I saw in one IA) that they wanted to prove that Maths has some real-life application that isn't just in a textbook.

Just remember, the Maths is the most important part. I mean, obviously you need a decent RQ question so you can apply maths into it, but it's the maths that's the most important.