Math IA help!

palewhimsy

Hello- I want to calculate the volume of an egg for my math IA, but I'm a little stuck on the calculations. I want to hypothetically cut the egg in half so there are two symmetrical halves, and start by calculating the area of the 2-D shape created. I do not want to calculate the area of two different ellipses, as it would be considered too simple, but how would I start calculating the area with calculus??

Thank you so much!

I do not want to calculate the area of two different ellipses, as it would be considered too simple

What do you mean?

There are restrictions to how specific of help we can give you.

It is not necessary that you find area before find volume, but, uh, you should find something that helps to find both area and volume.

You should approach your supervisor as this is syllabus content (*hint?*) so she or he would know how much to guide you.

At this point you should be somewhat familiar with definite integrals and how they return the area between a function and the x-axis. You should extend this idea to at least formulate a plan to find the area even if you don't know the specific details to carry out the math in integration. So when you ask your teacher help can be appropriately given.

As for volume, you should consider the formulae you know, for example, V = A * h, where A is the base area of a PRISM (is an egg a prism?). You may find the volume of a cylinder especially helpful.

Again the contents you are trying to explore is mostly / primarily HL core content so look around.