IB Music SL Solo Performance

collegecolleg

Hi,

I'm taking IB Music SL this year, and have some questions about the solo performance.

1. How long does the recording have to be? (I saw 15 minutes on somewhere but could it be shorter than that?)
  2. If I'm playing the piano, how many pieces am I allowed to perform? (could it be a compilation of multiple small pieces?)
  3. Can I play more than one instrument? I did choir for a couple years and also play the banjo.
  4. Does the genre of the pieces we play have to be consistent? Can I play like a jazz piece and a Mozart?
  5. I don't play any pieces longer than 5 minutes... am I in trouble? I'm testing in May 2016.

Our teacher is new so he didn't have an answer to any of these. Thanks in advance!

Edited by collegecolleg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

1 - For SL you need a minimum of 15 minutes of recorded music.

2 - You can play as many as you want, go wild, short and long pieces would do fine.

3 - Play and record in the instrument that you are most comfortable in, if you are good and singing and banjo, go ahead. There are no limitations on the numbers of instruments *in my experience*.

4 - Yes, of course you can, any genre can work, try multiple composers and styles!

5 - No problem, just do a bunch of 2-4 min pieces. There is no real need for 5 minute, pieces,  If it keeps you at ease and results in less stress, stick to  4 minute or less pieces. 

Hope this answers your questions =)