Taking Spanish B without studying it before?

heynow

Hello all!

I was wondering if taking Spanish B without studying it in school before would be a good decision, and if it is possible? I've studied Spanish at home etc for 2 years and I understand a lot of the language but I'm not fluent, but I don't really have any 'proof' (like grades) from it, but is that necessary to have?

Thanks.

And by that I mean Spanish SL.

Edited by heynow

Alot of the language? If you mean you're fluent in it, you shouldn't be taking Spanish at an SL level as it inflates the grade boundaries, making it unfair for those who aren't fluent in that language

But...if you're not fluent and you believe that you have a firm grasp at  introductory writing/reading/speaking Spanish then I don't see what could be the problem.  My school wanted proof we took French for 9+ years before allowing us to SL French but maybe they might do a placement test for you?

I'm doing sl spanish after studying it for 4 years before IB. I can assure you that it is not easy for me. The main things needed for SL are that you should be perfect with your conjugations before you head towards SL spanish. You need to be able to learn a ton of vocabulary and you should be able to communicate well like class discussions on various modern day trending topics like teenage life, food, etc. If you are spot on with ur grammar and have the ability to understand spanish words well, then you should opt for SL. In fact i think you should do SL spanish if you really want to do spanish. Having known spanish for 2 years means that doing AB initio will be too easy for you because it starts all the way from ABC and uno, dos, tres, cuatro.., etc and it may not really be helpful to you if you already know all that stuff. If you're up for challenges, do SL spanish and it will obviously benefit you as you will build ur spanish foundation. If you are very good at spanish, then you will enjoy it. If you are an average student, you will suffer the first month horribly and get nightmares but after a couple of months you will start to enjoy it very much like i do. Its a great class (for me at least), and the syllabus is not outta the world either. It is possible to get 6s and 7s if you are willing to spend an extra couple of hours every week just to revise the vocabulary. I started off SL spanish by getting low 4s like 4.0, 4.2, etc. Now i have completed one semester of my first year and i am getting high 4s in some of the tests like 4.6, 4.8.... and high 5s as well in some other tests (my luck) like 5.8. Of course these grades are not good but they will certainly improve as i move on and get more familiar with the way things work in SL Spanish...

hope this helped...

Alot of the language? If you mean you're fluent in it, you shouldn't be taking Spanish at an SL level as it inflates the grade boundaries, making it unfair for those who aren't fluent in that language

But...if you're not fluent and you believe that you have a firm grasp at  introductory writing/reading/speaking Spanish then I don't see what could be the problem.  My school wanted proof we took French for 9+ years before allowing us to SL French but maybe they might do a placement test for you?

really??? in my school if we have have been learning a language for 2 years or more then we are not eligible for abinitio and we HAVE to do SL or chose another language and start from scratch.

Edited by King112

really??? in my school if we have have been learning a language for 2 years or more then we are not eligible for abinitio and we HAVE to do SL or chose another language and start from scratch.

To be fair, where I live, French isn't really taught all that seriously :P I mean, when I was in my last year of junior high, the majority of my peers were ranked at an "elementary" level :/

To be fair, where I live, French isn't really taught all that seriously :P I mean, when I was in my last year of junior high, the majority of my peers were ranked at an "elementary" level :/

oh okay. i study in an international school in singapore so i chose to do spanish and its pretty focused studies. Some people in my class are so fluent that they could actually get a degree in it, while some people are kind of beginners level. Im right at the middle.