Physics options

ckj1026

Hi guys. I have to decide which option to choose for my HL physics. Because of some school and teacher problems, I can only choose between "relativity" and "astrophysics". To be honest, I prefer the later one. 

How difficult are these two options? Which one is relatively easier? Or which one is more interesting? 

Thanks. 

my teacher decided to do astrophysics because it is not too 'mathematical'.

but I prefer to do engineering which is suitable for students who have strong maths skill.

the problem is that engineering is new to the syllabus. there are not any past papers to practise. 

but I prefer to do engineering which is suitable for students who have strong maths skill.

the problem is that engineering is new to the syllabus. there are not any past papers to practise. 

Hi. I really want to choose engineering, but my teacher said "if you really like engineering, you can study it in the university". 

I think my teacher prefers relativity, because last year, he chose the relativity, and the result was pretty good. 

I took relativity last year (along with EM waves) and it wasn't too difficult, but still quite interesting. It brings concepts that are (probably) completely new to you, and wrapping your head around them takes a while, but personally I found it cool. :D

Hi guys. I have to decide which option to choose for my HL physics. Because of some school and teacher problems, I can only choose between "relativity" and "astrophysics". To be honest, I prefer the later one. 

How difficult are these two options? Which one is relatively easier? Or which one is more interesting? 

Thanks. 

My teacher did astrophysics with us (she majored in that in university so it was the topic she knew best), and it wasn't too hard. I don't know about relativity. mechnight said he did relativity, but just keep in mind the syllabus changed from last years' so you might have some different parts of that topic ( I think that some of what used to be the relativity option was moved to the HL core, for example).  I'm not sure if doing engineering would help you much in university, but you might want to check. Otherwise, you could try looking over the chapters and see either which one is most interesting to you or which one is easier (which one will get you the points you need). If there's a particular option that your teacher is teaching in class, I would say go with that one.  Good luck!

Edited by eross

More interesting? Relativity, for sure! That's because relativity can be considered as a paradigm shift within physics, so if you take relativity, you'll be able to see physics in a whole new way.

Easier? Definitely astrophysics! More than half of the materials in astrophysics are just simple memorization. Besides, the concepts in astrophysics are way easier to grasp compared to relativity.

So my advice? If you have time and if you will be majoring in something related to physics later on in university, then take Relativity! On the other hand, if you don't have time or if you will be majoring in something else in uni, then take Astrophysics!

mechnight said he did relativity

btw eross, I think mechnight is a she :=)

Hi. I really want to choose engineering, but my teacher said "if you really like engineering, you can study it in the university". 

I think my teacher prefers relativity, because last year, he chose the relativity, and the result was pretty good. 

I will do self-taught on relativity.  Astro is too wordy for me .