Confusing Physics question- Energy

kevG

There are two key components in this question
1) Do peak intensity change?
2) Does corresponding wavelength of the peak intensity change?

Black body radiation demo: http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/blackbody-spectrum/blackbody-spectrum_en.html
The phenomenon is described through Wien's displacement law
which relates the peak shift and wavelength. At SL the relation is just presented matter-of-factly but I don't think HL delves too deep either because this law comes from Planck's Law (a vectored-valued function) so IB's "dumbing it down" for us.

If you are looking for something for 1/16 T in the graph and you can't find anything, it's that the black body does not emit all wavelengths in equal proportions. The intensity predicted with Stefan-Boltzman * T^4 is a weighted average of all intensity by each wavelength. 
Intuitively, a cooler black body will emit lower energies (eg Earth emits infrared but Sun emits slightly higher-energy light, like visible and UV), and less intense (again, Earth and Sun) comparison. 

So I can't provide a satisfactory explanation since IB does not provide all the complex equations, but you must not confuse overall intensity with wavelength-specific intensity.

EDIT:
I looked it up, the Wien's displacement law is in HL syllabus. So as temperature halves, the peak frequency is doubled.
The Stefan-Boltzmann Law helps to predict that the intensity will decrease. It seems that many sites, including the PHET demo above, shows the peak follow to T^4 proportionality, so that means the actual distribution of wavelengths is largely even. It could be that the book made a mistake but the general shape still points to B.  

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1

Like kw0573, I think the answer is B as well. Generally, with these types of multiple choice questions, you can just follow the process of elimination. First the question says that the area under the graph is halved, which means that C & D must be wrong. Now, as kw0573 already pointed out, you should use Wien's law to decide whether it's A or B. Wien's law states that

gif.latex? Constant = \lambda_{max}T

Now after gif.latex? T is halved, in order to keep the left-hand-side to still be a constant, gif.latex?\lambda_{max} must be doubled. Mathematically,

gif.latex? Constant = \lambda_{max}T = 2

So because originally, gif.latex? \lambda_{max} (or the peak) is at 0.1 mm, so the new peak should be 0.1 * 2 = 0.2 mm. Therefore, the answer is B.

Edited by Vioh
  • Like 1