Do Canadian top universities accept math studies?

alex27

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I've got a one very important question for you all.

So basically I have just started the IB, so i'm in the first year of it. My school offers us, three years of IB, which is an extended course with the first year being rather preparatory. These are the subjects I took:

ENGLISH A1 HL
GERMAN B1 SL
HISTORY HL
BIOLOGY SL
MATH SL
GEOGRAPHY HL

With all of these subjects I look forward to major in law in the future, preferably in Canada but first I need a BA in a course of my choice. I am considering Social Sciences, excluding Economics. I don't want to do anything connected with Math in the future as I am not good at it big time. I have taken the Math Standard Level course in the IB and now I'm not sure if I need it. Math Standard Level appears to be difficult for me. I was wondering if for instance the University of Toronto would accept my future application if I were to switch to Math Studies from SL or would they discard my application right away. I'm not really sure but as far as I know Social Science BA courses at the UofT don't require Math Standard but once again I'm not sure if Math Standard is recommended. I'm also curious as to how many points I'd need for Canadian Universities in order to apply for social science courses.

Best Regards
Thank you
Alex

Edited by Gaby
Use the edit button instead of writing a new post. Less clutter. :)

I was considering Political Sciences or International Affairs or something of that type, so my question is if you know something about Studies limiting the admittance overall or just it limiting the admittance for Math related BAs?

For example U of T has its own table of admission requirements, and like you said, it says SL, HL, or Further is required for programs needing a math pre-req. So you should do this for all the schools you are applying for. If you are comfortable, you should email or call the schools' admission offices.

If you are definitely sure that you want to go into a specific undergrad program (and it doesn't sound like you are), then you can change SL to SL Studies. It's just for backup in case you changed your mind. It's always easier to go from SL to SL Studies (say at end of year 1 out of 3) instead of the other way around.

Since you seem sure about going into law, you should look backwards if law schools accept BA in Social Science (excluding econ), which they probably do, and decide upon an undergraduate program.

• Like 1

I was considering Political Sciences or International Affairs or something of that type, so my question is if you know something about Studies limiting the admittance overall or just it limiting the admittance for Math related BAs?
For example U of T has its own table of admission requirements, and like you said, it says SL, HL, or Further is required for programs needing a math pre-req. So you should do this for all the schools you are applying for. If you are comfortable, you should email or call the schools' admission offices.

If you are definitely sure that you want to go into a specific undergrad program (and it doesn't sound like you are), then you can change SL to SL Studies. It's just for backup in case you changed your mind. It's always easier to go from SL to SL Studies (say at end of year 1 out of 3) instead of the other way around.
Since you seem sure about going into law, you should look backwards if law schools accept BA in Social Science (excluding econ), which they probably do, and decide upon an undergraduate program.

Thank you so much, this has helped me a lot.

If you want to go into Business or science, you will definitely need Math SL. If you can manage at least a 4 or 5 in math sl I think you shouldn't consider switching, to math studies.

I don't want to go to Business nor Science and the only field I can picture myself in is Law. I don't think I could pull off a 6 in SL, 4 or 5 would be more realistic scores for me. What I'm comcerned about is that, if choosing Math SL and losing some point on is the right way to go if I can simply take Math Studies and a get a better result. I have checked that the law schools that I'd be keen to apply to, accept Social Sciences as BAs. Having that in mind, I reckon that if I want to get into Social Sciences in for instance UofT I don't really need Math SL as I don't think they require it and I'd just lose some points.