Hey guys I am a Maths HL student, and recently i came up with an idea to do my Maths IA on, comparing two ways of solving Trig equations. One of the ways of solving Trig equations, is by using the trig identities and the other way is by using the De Moivre's theorem.

I was wondering if I could explain these 2 ways and different ways and i could somehow come to a conclusion on which way is better (i.e. by counting number of step required to arrive at the general solution) for what type of trig equation

I understand both methods quite well since I watched the Khan Academy Videos on them!! But I was wondering if this sort of idea was fine for a Maths HL IA. Any help would be appreciated!!

Edited by LolzDoingIB

Hey guys I am a Maths HL student, and recently i came up with an idea to do my Maths IA on, comparing two ways of solving Trig equations. One of the ways of solving Trig equations, is by using the trig identities and the other way is by using the De Moivre's theorem.

I was wondering if I could explain these 2 ways and different ways and i could somehow come to a conclusion on which way is better (i.e. by counting number of step required to arrive at the general solution) for what type of trig equation

I understand both methods quite well since I watched the Khan Academy Videos on them!! But I was wondering if this sort of idea was fine for a Maths HL IA. Any help would be appreciated!!

okay, I'm no expert in this, but as far as I understand, a good IA has to be a bit more than that. You probably looked at solving trig equations in class, and at de Moivre's theorem too (or you will at some point soon). So simply explaining two theorems/topics/etc. won't earn you all the marks. (I might be wrong, so check with someone else too). HOWEVER, explaining which one is better could be a way to go --> this could potentially earn you lots of reflection points.

You could find applications of these two ways; why should you use one instead of the other? the which one is better and why is good too. things like that. You could also try to use them (or other content learnt in class) to prove/show/explain some other theorem that isn't included in the core or that is not mandatory.  The thing about the maths IA is that it's not just math-- if you look at the criteria, only two categories are strictly math-related: criterion B, which is mathematical presentation (including tables, graphs, diagrams, etc. where appropriate, using correct notation & terminology, etc.) and criterion E, which is use of mathematics (first, that the level of math is commensurate with the level of the course (i.e not an SL topic), and then to get the higher points you need 'sophistication' and all that. ) 

The rest of the criteria are based on the input you put in the work; your personal engagement (why are you choosing this topic? how is it important to you/ your community/ the world? saying "i like these theorems" won't do it). Find ways to go beyond just the math. I know it sounds weird, but it's the IB-- they want to see why you care and you have to show them-- things like talking about how it relates to a personal experience, or collecting your own data, or explaining the mistakes you made during the process, or explaining your thought process clearly (i thought this, which led me to that, which made me rethink what I had thought so I went back and changed it...) or applying the math to connect it with another field. Anything can work, as long as you show you put effort into it and that the topic seems to have some kind of importance to YOU. 

tl;dr  simply explaining two theorems won't get you all the marks -- try to go beyond explanations that you probably studied in class. Show why you are personally engaged with the particular topic (Assessing which one is better and why is a start! it gives you reflection points!).

good luck and I hope this helped

Edited by eross
  • Like 1