NEED IOP HELP

Mia Medina

So i sent this topic abount my IOP to my teacher, btw i'm doing the bluest eye, I want to do my IOP on the thing from page 74. "The thing to fear was the thing that made her beautiful, and not us" The thing isn't the girls skin, it's their mind. More specifically, everyone's mind. It's just an illusion. Nothing makes anyone beautiful, it's just how people perceive it. People think it's what society says and thinks, but society isn't a person. It has no mind of its own. You know what society is driving by? People thoughts, more specifically, their perception.

He then replied This is definitely a major idea in the book, but how does Morrison choose to present this idea?  What in the text evokes the idea of illusion?  How does Morrison manipulate the text to show this issue of perception?

I read the book but i'm not sure on how exactly to write this.

Any help is appreciated!!

Mia, I haven't read the book, but I can try and provide some IOP insight.

So yes, the people fear the girl because of what they think of her in their minds, not necessarily what they physically see, which is her skin. That's your idea right?

I'm glad your teacher agreed that it was a good topic, I think so too.

So in regards to presenting the idea, try looking at literary techniques (metaphors, similes, hyperboles, etc.) In your case, you can Morrison used [literary technique] to show the aspect in which the characters feared the girl because of what was in their minds rather than what was true reality.

The text is the catalyst for your entire IOP, so what your teacher wants is for you to point out what parts of the writing show the idea that the characters feared what their mind conjured. (You can even say their rampant imaginations allowed them to think up horrid scenarios if it pertains to the story).

What your teacher wants for "How Morrison manipulates" the text is essentially asking you to find Morrison's writing style. Things like Morrison's diction, tone, mood, syntax, analogies, maybe even flashbacks and character anecdotes may earn the point for you regarding text manipulation.

Ask me if you need more help, my twitter is in my profile. I hope I helped!

So, from what I can see, your thesis is basically that society is driven by people and their perceptions of the world around them. Now how does the author convey that (and I mean in the broadest ways possible)? Is there a particular character? Is there a motif that they keeps coming back to? Perhaps it's something to do with the setting? From there, you expand on how that aspect is conveyed - imagery, metaphor, etc, etc - these are your techniques - providing examples and such.

For example

Thesis: society is driven by people and their perceptions of the world around them

Argument 1: The setting displays 'theme' by _______________

• Example 1: The imagery of ____ evokes images of ___ and causes the reader to think _____ -insert link
  • Example 2: The metaphor regarding ____ allows the reader to see ___ -insert link-
  • Example 3: Alliteration _________

Basically repeat that for every 'argument' you have. As my teacher says, you've got a core argument and then you're building on it - you're taking the examiner through a journey. It's a really bad example of how to lay out an actual presentation/essay, but, personally, I feel it helps in the process. I'd reread the entire text, keeping your theme in mind, and then noting down instances which you think help develop the theme. Then, look for similarities so you can group them, and then analyse each quote.

Good luck!

So when i was doing my IOP, what our teacher told us to do was that through the presentation, you have to bring out these aspects:

• Cultural setting
  • Thematic focus
  • Characterisation
  • Technique/Style
  • Author’s attitude towards elements of the work
  • Interpretation (perspectives)

And what i did what i planned out my ideas, the flow of my presentation and simply used the quotes from the book to give evidence. I made different thesis statements and the supported it with different quotes from the book.

The advantage about doing an IOP from a book is that there are a variety of quotes that you can use and twist to make it fit in your presentation.