Is boyfriend informal in an essay

Rosalina

I am writing an essay and I'm really not sure if "boyfriend" is suitable to use in an essay. I need to use this as the story I'm writing on has the main character in a dilemma of not being asked out to a dance.

Also, how would I say "looking attractive so guys will ask her out" without making it sound awkward? :/

Thanks guys.

Edited by Rosalina

I don't think that boyfriend is that informal since it is used without much of a replacement. There's also the word "partner" that could possibly used as a substitute.

For your second part maybe you can break that one sentence into multiple sentences that make make the phrase more specific. Saying that they wanted to look attractive so that guys would ask them out would be a little too blatant, so I suggest that you make it descriptive over one or two sentences, somewhat hint at the fact that they want to look attractive for other guys. Also I wouldn't use the word "guy" because it's very casual. 

I hope this helps, I've never written an essay like that but I write stories so hopefully it's somewhat the same. Good luck on your essay!

I was brainstorming and I came up with this. Yet I find these...awkward?

"The narrator wishes to look attractive to gain the attractions of her male peers" (She wants someone to ask her out)

"The narrator is expected to look forward to the attentions of boys." (She is expected to like guys.)

go for love interest maybe?

Wouldn't the character be in "love" with said interest for that to qualify? I'm not sure myself about this.

I don't think that boyfriend is that informal since it is used without much of a replacement. There's also the word "partner" that could possibly used as a substitute.

For your second part maybe you can break that one sentence into multiple sentences that make make the phrase more specific. Saying that they wanted to look attractive so that guys would ask them out would be a little too blatant, so I suggest that you make it descriptive over one or two sentences, somewhat hint at the fact that they want to look attractive for other guys. Also I wouldn't use the word "guy" because it's very casual. 

I hope this helps, I've never written an essay like that but I write stories so hopefully it's somewhat the same. Good luck on your essay!

I think that I'll have to use boyfriend because there's not much replacing I can do =/ 

Thank you for your help, susanne and smaandy!

• Like 1