Requirements for IA experiment

Annie James

I have a new HL Biology teacher who has never taught IB before and isn't quite helpful. I'm trying to find a good topic to create a research question from and I originally came up with: What is the affect of different sugars in solutions of the same concentration on the diffusion of water? but my teacher says I need to find an application to the real world or something like a purpose of sorts. I haven't been able to find one. Any ideas?

I'm most likely going to abandon this question if I can't find an application soon because the rough draft is due in two weeks. As I have been trying to find other topics to create an experiment from, I find that I don't know what makes a good research question for an IA. A lot of students in my class are having the same problem. Does it need to include a purpose applicable to a real world situation? Are there other requirements? What are the do's and don'ts? Also we are pressed for time so what topics wouldn't take long to complete an experiment? A lot wanted to do plants but not with this time frame. Any ideas?

Overall, any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm very lost in trying to find a good research question and so are my peers.

Edited by Annie James

As per the rules, we cannot provide you with a specific RQ; nevertheless, I did find a website which I hope can help you :)

https://sites.google.com/a/isp.cz/ms-maczuzak-s-ib-biology-site2014-2015/independent-assessments/example-topics-for-ia-s

Credits go to the owner of the site and the contained PDF.

From what I am aware of, you'd need to show some personal engagement in your IA (Why is this experiment significant to you). Usually, this means applying the experiment to a real life situation, although this might not necessarily be the case at all times.

One important matter you should take note is that any conducted experiments should not include living animals. If you do choose to have living animals in your sample, there should be a very, very, very good reason as to why you have chosen to do so, and tbh I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope I managed to help :)

• Like 2