Biomedical engineering

SNF

Hello there,

I have finished my o/levels in Cambridge and is doing IB, but its only been a few months since I started IB. Our school is having a lot of university visits and this had made me think more deeply on what I want to do. I love biology specially, and something had come up that says that they give scholarships for those students who had completed IGCSE to do biomedical engineering in UK. I'm not really a math and physics person even though I love chemistry and biology.

Do you think biomedical engineering is the right way to go? what are your opinions if you were in my shoes?

thank you.

Edited by SNF

I don't.

Biomedical engineering is more along the lines of engineering in the medical field. The majority of research is either for things such as prosthetics and devices, which is more mechanical engineering, equipment, which is more electrical engineering, or drug and tissue research, which is more chemical engineering. But where does biology come in, you ask? It's there, but only generally. You won't be really doing any real heavy biology. The closest you'd get would be if you worked in a tissue engineering environment, but at that point you're more concerned with the thermodynamic stability and physical kinetic theory behind stuff, which is physics and not biology.

And if you're "not a math or physics person" then you'll likely struggle. That's the backbone of any engineering field.

I'd recommend looking into something else, such as research, instead of engineering based on what you've said.

Edited by Emmi
  • Like 3