Swedish A1 SL or Swedish B HL?

beth-

I asked my IB coordinator about this, and as I'm fluent in Swedish (on an A2 level, but I still make some grammatical errors occasionally, but my pronunciation is completely perfect) she recommended me taking either Swedish A SL or Swedish B HL. My initial reaction was taking Swedish A SL, but now I'm contemplating whether that would actually be a wise choice. My mother is a Swedish teacher and when I show her past papers of Swedish B HL, she frowns and says that it's very basic material, meaning that it's probably something I would be able to get an easy 7 in, because the grammatical errors I make are extremely minor and in oral conversations I never make them and can converse with Swedes on a very high, and even on an academic and highly advanced level. 

I'm going to study law, and so therefore, it doesn't matter what subjects I study, even though some universities have recommended an essay based-subject, something like History HL or English HL (both which I plan on studying). I've also thought about studying Biology, something that I very simplistically justified with the explanation that there's a lot of reading in Biology, and there's also a lot of reading in Law (yeah, don't ask me), but now, coming to think of it, I doubt whether it would actually be useful, and whether it wouldn't be better to take Swedish B HL and get an easy 7 in it, and then focus on History and English. 

What do you guys think?

I asked my IB coordinator about this, and as I'm fluent in Swedish (on an A2 level, but I still make some grammatical errors occasionally, but my pronunciation is completely perfect) she recommended me taking either Swedish A SL or Swedish B HL. My initial reaction was taking Swedish A SL, but now I'm contemplating whether that would actually be a wise choice. My mother is a Swedish teacher and when I show her past papers of Swedish B HL, she frowns and says that it's very basic material, meaning that it's probably something I would be able to get an easy 7 in, because the grammatical errors I make are extremely minor and in oral conversations I never make them and can converse with Swedes on a very high, and even on an academic and highly advanced level. 

I'm going to study law, and so therefore, it doesn't matter what subjects I study, even though some universities have recommended an essay based-subject, something like History HL or English HL (both which I plan on studying). I've also thought about studying Biology, something that I very simplistically justified with the explanation that there's a lot of reading in Biology, and there's also a lot of reading in Law (yeah, don't ask me), but now, coming to think of it, I doubt whether it would actually be useful, and whether it wouldn't be better to take Swedish B HL and get an easy 7 in it, and then focus on History and English. 

What do you guys think?

What I know is that IB does not mark on communication as much as content. All you need to do is hit the right targets in terms of content to do decent on an A language. However, yeah taking two A languages is a lot of work (twice the amount of books you have to read for one A language). If you think it's too overwhelming, I definitely suggest taking Swedish B for that easy 7.

One thing is to consider is how you view IB transfer credits and whether your destination school needs more learning of language. For example in College of Liberal Arts at my school everyone must learn a second language for 4 years (or 16 equivalent credits or completion of 4th year standard testing). HL Lang B and SL Lang A may make a difference. Also you do get a special diploma for doing two language A's in IB, which is something that may be useful while applying to law school. It may worth to invest doing 2 language As if you feel confident in your SLs.

• Like 1

B and A languages often require different things form students. A languages will focus on on literature while B will focus on knowledge, understanding and use of the language. So if you feel like you can score better with analyzing text then take A Swedish. Though if you are a native speaker you should be able to get an easy 7 from B.

Universities have entry requirements and if you don't meet em it is unlikely that you will get an offer, so you should take that into consideration when deciding aswell.

Personally i just dropped from Finnish A SL to B SL, mainly because I was having problems with grammar spelling etc. but also because it will help me get a better predicted grade and hopefully a better final one as well. 

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that if you plan on studying in a Swedish university it is highly recommended take Swedish A. If you take Swedish B and you want to get into a Swedish university the university requires you to take a test in Swedish which is not easy.

But it's all up to you. If you want a bit of a challenge (I myself am fluent in Swedish and I take Swedish A as well and it's been fine so far), then take Swedish A. If not, go for Swedish B. But keep in mind that a Swedish B class usually consists of people who are learning to speak Swedish or speak Swedish on a moderate level. But, easy 7 ;)