Mathematics HL IA

pashkaa8

I think you should make a reference to the data that you're using for the poison distribution and vehicles accidents, but since you are making your own calculations of which is more likely to happen it won't be consider plagiarism. In my case for example, I'm going to use a information in a database to prove which event is most likely to happen

To solve that problem, i think you should include the stimulus from which you take the idea, with a clear explanation of how you think in analyzing this factors, so the evaluator can know that you were the one making the calculations and also add an explanation of why you consider using that formulas. Also remember that your teacher is the one that is going to grade your IA for the first time so if he see some king of plagiarism, he will notified you.

Yes, I am making my own calculations, but the methodology of taking the number of cars and then dividing them by the number of accidents may be used in other IAs, I think, so the IB might think I've taken someone else's idea or methodology.

You are not expected to invent a whole branch of mathematics. It is ok to use concepts of others. If I interpreted correctly, I think this is a straightforward calculation so you don't have to worry about it. If you are however using a very complex formula that is not covered in the HL syllabus, then you should definitely cite and fully explain the equation.