Psychology HL - 7

littlebirdsaved

Hi! I am writing my IB exams in May 2016. To be honest, I am a little anxious about my Psychology HL grade. I certainly aim to get 7, but my class is the fourth IB class in our school, and in the last third classes nobody got 7 in Psych HL. There were only two 7 in SL. Is it really so difficult to get this mark on the exam? 

The fact that there have been 4 classes and no one has been predicted nor received a 7 says a lot more about the teacher than the subject itself. Psychology HL is relatively hard to get a 7 in, however, 10% of candidates taking Psychology HL are awarded 7's each year, so unless you classes have been quite bad, it suggests that your teachers are not teaching you the techniques necessary to score the top marks, such as essay writing or key answers. 

However, just as gusmanK said, just becuase other people didn't achieve top scores doesn't mean that you cannot. 

Do past papers, don't just memorize the psychological studies, but learn to use them effectively, analyze them, evaluate their strengths and weaknesses, look at the methodology and pay attention to specific details. A 7 in psychology hl isn't impossible, but it'll require hard work.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A 7 in psychology HL requires extensive work from year 1 itself. Something important which a lot of students miss out on is the effort one must put in their IA's. The Internal Assessment counts for 20% of your grade, and the HL IA has a higher level of criteria. Of course, focus on theory, but don't lose out on 20% of your marks. This could cause an entire grade drop.

It is not impossible to achieve a 7, if you work consistently and are dedicated, you can definitely get the score you want. Don't leave your study to a week before exams, you will not be able to study for the core topics as well as both the options if you do this. And definitely don't try to mug up essays (especially from IB guides). I have classmates who tried doing that, and got abysmal predicted grades.

Best of luck!