Are personal examples a requirement in the essay?

UncleChopChop

Seems like it's a pretty widely held misconception - none of the official documentation seems to reference a requirement of personal examples. One of the examiner's reports (May 2013) actually expressed disappointment on the whole with their use, stating “In many cases the use of personal examples tends to be trite." There seems to be a big concern about "fabricated evidence" usually in the form of hypothetical scenarios, which they indicate should not be used at all, but I can't find any details regarding personal examples - I can only assume it's not a requirement as plenty of sample A grade essays seem to lack them.

• Like 1

That's interesting,as I have read an exemplar which received 19/20 who had included personal examples in theirs - it was relating back to their use of language (as one of their AOKs was language). I suppose it's down to the markers in the end, after all, I find the markscheme to be rather subjective.