Can someone explain the ACT tests in detail

samuelmwase

Can someone explain the ACT tests in detail because i might take them.

I took the ACT. The different sections (in order): English (45 minutes) - 75 questions , maths (60 minutes) - 60 questions, reading (35 minutes) - 40 minutes, science (35 minutes) - 40 minutes [optional section: essay - 30 minutes/ the format of the essay has changed for the upcoming tests, see: http://www.act.org/actnext/faq.html#Enhancements) 

1) ReadingThis section comprises of two components - usage/mechanics and rhetorical skills. It's basically tests your English grammar - you'll do well if you know the grammar rules the ACT tests you on (you can find them in the real ACT prep book). If you've studied the British curriculum (like I have), I recommend you study extensively for this section as the curriculum doesn't cover grammar to such an extent. This section is honestly the easiest IMO and this is coming from someone who's more maths and science oriented! If you practice a lot, you should be able to finish within the time limits.

2) MathsThis section comprises of Pre-Algebra/Elem. Algebra, Algebra/Coord. Geometry and Plane Geometry/Trig.. Again depending on what curriculum you've studied, you may or may not know most of the concepts you'll be tested on. It's definitely simpler than IB standard level maths I definitely recommend doing a ton of practice problems to get acclimated with the time constraint - trust me, it's not easy to finish in time without making silly mistakes.

3) Reading: There are four passage (each are accompanied with 10 questions) - prose fiction, social science, humanities and natural science. This is definitely the section along with the science section which requires a ton of practice to get used to the timing. Try to do as many practice reading section tests as possible to get acclimated with the timing. 

4) ScienceThere tends to be 3 sections with 5 questions, 3 with 6 questions and one with 7 questions (opinion based passage). To make things simpler, do the passages with 5 questions first and the 7 question based passage last as the 5 and 6 question based passage are easier than the passage with the 7 question, that way if you run out of time, you'll have done more questions (since you started with the easier ones)

*Warning* The ACT has increased the difficulty of the reading and science sections - the practice tests are much simpler than the sections on the real tests - I learned this the hard way (google it, many ACT test takers have noted the increase in difficulty of these sections)

Word of advice: The key to doing well on the ACT (assuming you know the concepts) is PRACTICE, I repeat PRACTICE. Timing is a major issue with the ACT.

more insight on how fast you need to be

english- 75 q- 45 min

average time per question: 36 sec

math- 60 q- 60 min

average time per question: 1 min

reading- 40 q- 35 min

average time per question: 46-ish sec

science- 40 q- 35 min

average time per question: 46-ish sec

its easy to lose track of the time, even more so when you're reading and trying to understand a passage