The Human Mischief

BIO-AQUA

"A Satiric Look at the Human Nature"..

In this thread, we discuss the mischief of the human nature. Anything you find common, but wrong things done in life, feel free to share them with us and we'll try to come up with solutions. Each couple of days we come up with a new episode that deals with common actions that are just.. Wrong!!

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 1

This week's episode is Procrastination. Is procrastination an integral part of the human nature, or do we make it one?!

Well in some point or another, we were all somehow procrastinators.. Not necessarily in our studies. Procrastination includes work, meetings, chores and many more. Now the question is, why? Why do we procrastinate? Is it for the love of "nothing" that we do it? Is it because we favor things over others? Is it just to waste time? Well whatever the cause is, the effect is one: Delay in work thus cancellation of results. :P

I'm not trying to preach to the converted or anything :innocent: .. But our IBC said some touching words at the beginning of the year, and I thought of sharing them with all of you. Many of us are going to do/ waiting for the externals in a couple of months. Some of us have already finished and some haven't even started. Wherever you stand, it is never late to start over (whether on IB or life). OK, so you had your time, played around, delayed all the huge chunks of work and enjoyed the "endless" hours of IB doing nothing. :P And here comes the predicted grades, letters of recommendation, university offers and the external exams. Shock! :P The results are not as we have expected and "worked" for. We start screaming and insulting the IB and examiners for things that are our fault in the first place. :P (OK, I know that some examiners might negatively influence the mark, but the big picture here! :D ).

The point is, don't procrastinate.. If your name is Pro Crastinator, then change it into Anti Crastinator! :P You might find it hard to change at the beginning.. However, it is with determination, courage of conviction and will power that man prospers. Why wait until then to rant while you can start over and receive the offer you were waiting for. What is the mark you're aiming for? A 35, 38, 40.. 45?! Whatever it is, then work for it, and remember, each one gets what he/she deserves. :D It is never impossible until you try it... :D

Good luck in the IB, university and life. :)

well I've been trying to figure out what procrastination realy is to me, since I'm a very time managed person and yet find myself unable to complete a task without procrastinating.

In the end I figured out it had to do with the perfectionist side of me :D the reason I delay work is that I delay "imperfect work". If I have a great flow of ideas which just comes naturally to me once I start I wouldn't crast at all. But when I don't know where to start or what my argument is, I'd rather deal with it later than write something bad!

so yea that's my justification :P

well I've been trying to figure out what procrastination realy is to me, since I'm a very time managed person and yet find myself unable to complete a task without procrastinating.

In the end I figured out it had to do with the perfectionist side of me :D the reason I delay work is that I delay "imperfect work". If I have a great flow of ideas which just comes naturally to me once I start I wouldn't crast at all. But when I don't know where to start or what my argument is, I'd rather deal with it later than write something bad!

so yea that's my justification :P

ahh, same here, same here... that and I can always find a very valid excuse for not doing my h/w at the moment.. I dunno if it's a good thing or a bad thing LOL

Edited by cixelsyD

• 3 weeks later...

Procrastination really hurts in grades 11 and 12 i believe. imagine procrastinating for a 30 minute presentation on techniques and styles of theatre through the ages? :D

What I find helps people get over procrastination is when they realize what the impact will be on their academic lives.

And as to what ~Lc~ said, I almost agree. I know SO many people who procrastinate and feel they they produce better work through their procrastination, myself included. However, comparing my work, or their work, to the works of people who started early and revised (their work), well, it usually doesn't compare at all. On a finishing note, if you can procrastinate and come up with a brilliant essay or piece or whatever, imagine how much better it could be if you honed that brilliance and invested (more) time into the work :)

'Gitcha Head In The Game' right?

Booyagramma

Peace Out(/off topic sry)

• 5 weeks later...

I think the reason why I procrastinate is because I dread doing whatever I'm supposed to be doing.

I mean, if I find it fun like say a creative project or something for Student Council I'm more likely to do it right away.

But if it's something I dread like EE or any big essay or labs, then I tend to leave it for as long as I can get away with.

We do what we love, and then we dont do things that'll cause us labour and hardships either mentally or physically.

• 1 year later...

Lately I've fallen into the vicious circle of procrastination. I know the impact, I know I should stop and try to do so every single day. But time and time again, I come home from school exhausted or in a bad mood; think to myself "ok start working", laugh quietly, then do something else.

I don't mind small assignments, but in the wake of college essays, IB preps, exams and how work assigned by teachers tends to gravitate towards the end of semesters, I can't think of anything that won't take me at least 2-3 hours to get into, and even more if I want to do them well.

I don't want to start then do something bad, given that ALL my tasks are major and will influence my life profoundly. But with out starting, my situation is only getting worse.

I keep thinking, what is my life missing that allows other people to work but forces me to fail pathetically everytime. I'm a smart fellow, top of every class, but it's just too much. I don't know how to manage all my work and not disappoint myself. So until I can think of something better, I'll just procrastinate.

Edited by EconSurvivor