Any notes for Spanish Ab initio SL?

Hey there!

I don't in any way mean to undermine the benefits of hard work and studying. But as someone who absolutely DESPISED studying for Spanish ab initio (and rarely ever did), I got away with a Level 7 by the end of it. And I'm not going to say that it was my intellectual flair that got me that 7, I'd say it was all sheer luck and some amazing teaching.

Speaking from personal experience, I think that the best way to pass Spanish A.B. is to give it 110% on your assignments (IA) and your oral commentary. Like score at least 6's to ensure you pass no matter how tough the exams get. And the best way to do that is to practice over and over.

Like for the oral commentary, create a "cheat-sheet" with generic phrases, important vocabulary, connectives/conjunctions, sentence starters (stuff like: "in my opinion, I think that, it would seem that, one can say," etc. etc.) Practice on general topics like relationships, media/technology, the environment, education, food/healthy living. Basically, study it for themes that show up often in the syllabus. Then come up with generic questions for each of the themes, and answer them completely using any resources necessary. Then, revise your answers and learn them (not memorize, learn). Over time, you should stop relying on the "cheat-sheet" and memorize some of the key vocabulary and phrases. That, my friend, is the key to success in the oral commentary.

But if you want resources, then I'd suggest starting with some good GCSE grammar books, and basically filling them up as much as possible. Because practice makes perfect. And a major difference between a Level 4 and 6 is that one will incorporate different tenses, and the other will rely on one. Seriously, many mark-schemes will state that correct usage of 2-3 different tenses will automatically allow you to access the higher band levels. Also, I'm certain there are some websites online that will allow you to practice your grammar. A simple Google search should help find said websites. 

I have a few more tips but I'll PM them to you tomorrow OR I'll edit this post if others want to know as well. IDK, I'll see. 

Hopefully you can start with what I've already given.

Edited by Excalibre
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

But if you want resources, then I'd suggest starting with some good GCSE grammar books, and basically filling them up as much as possible. Because practice makes perfect. And a major difference between a Level 4 and 6 is that one will incorporate different tenses, and the other will rely on one. Seriously, many mark-schemes will state that correct usage of 2-3 different tenses will automatically allow you to access the higher band levels. Also, I'm certain there are some websites online that will allow you to practice your grammar. A simple Google search should help find said websites. 

I have a few more tips but I'll PM them to you tomorrow OR I'll edit this post if others want to know as well. IDK, I'll see. 

Hopefully you can start with what I've already given.

Butting in to add my thanks to you too, Excalibre! Needed a reminder re: usage of different tenses. Congratulations on your hard work and results!