Predicted grade about 41-42 , oxford?

My mock exam results just came out and I got like 41-42 for my predicted grade. 

So, I saw the minimum requirement for applying to oxford is merely 39 points so I might want to give it a try.

However, I realize that applying for oxford might be rather troublesome as it involves so many admission tests and UCAS and interviews, while I will be studying so hard for both IB and my German test for uni admission in Germany.

Overall, I dont know if it worth a go to apply for oxford with my grade as I don't think my grade is extremely impressive, and I can not afford to invest more extra time on something that rarely work out.

So do you have any similar experience when it comes to applying for oxford or Cambridge? Did you get your offer with grade around 40-43? Is there any statistics showing the probability of different grades getting an offer from oxford? 

Thank you so much and I hope it wouldn't seem too childish for u. 

Edited by Guest

Hey I'm also considering Cambridge (not Oxford because I want to study Economics but Oxford only offers Economics and Management)

I was predicted 41-42/42 during term 2 but I slacked off too much during term 3 and is currently predicted 39-40/42. I'm also worried because my History HL isn't strong enough and I'm on the boundary of 5/6.

I actually don't think application for oxford is so troublesome compared to other universities (especially those in US...). I would recommend that you give it a try. If the workload burdens you, maybe try writing your personal statement over the summer.

Hope this helped !!!

So, I saw the minimum requirement for applying to oxford is merely 39 points so I might want to give it a try.

However, I realize that applying for oxford might be rather troublesome as it involves so many admission tests and UCAS and interviews, while I will be studying so hard for both IB and my German test for uni admission in Germany.

Overall, I dont know if it worth a go to apply for oxford with my grade as I don't think my grade is extremely impressive, and I can not afford to invest more extra time on something that rarely work out.

So do you have any similar experience when it comes to applying for oxford or Cambridge? Did you get your offer with grade around 40-43? Is there any statistics showing the probability of different grades getting an offer from oxford? 

Hi, so the thing about Oxford is that unlike with many other British universities, there are several steps during the admission process. The first of these (the step common in all UK universities) is that you will have to send in your predicted grades and a personal statement (letter of motivation). What the university will do is that they will take a look at your predicted grades and if they are below the minimum (in this case, merely 39  :lol:), they will not even read your personal statement. This won't be a problem for you of course, as you have a predicted 42. After they read your personal statement (or even before that) they will most likely send a test to your school (In my case there was no such test, as I applied for Biochemistry. Check the admission requirements page of the university for the field you will apply to, to see whether a test is needed.). After - or along with - the test, you may also be asked to provide part of an essay you have written on the subject (nothing major, about 1500 words, and it may not even be required. Check the admission requirements for this as well!) If you do well on any tests and/or they like your personal statement, you will be shortlisted for interview, for which you will have to go to the university, as you are a resident within the EU. After your interviews (usually everyone has 2) you will be informed about whether you got an offer or not.

TL;DR: If your predicted grades are above 39, you will not be at disadvantage.

The process might seem daunting, but there is a silver lining: your personal statement is the same for all universities you apply for, which means that you can use the same application for up to five universities within the UK. Also, since the deadline for applying to Oxford is in October, you'll have five of your applications done by the time IB2 goes into full swing.

Please feel free to ask me any further questions if anything is unclear. :D  :D  :D

• Like 3

Hi, so the thing about Oxford is that unlike with many other British universities, there are several steps during the admission process. The first of these (the step common in all UK universities) is that you will have to send in your predicted grades and a personal statement (letter of motivation). What the university will do is that they will take a look at your predicted grades and if they are below the minimum (in this case, merely 39  :lol:), they will not even read your personal statement. This won't be a problem for you of course, as you have a predicted 42. After they read your personal statement (or even before that) they will most likely send a test to your school (In my case there was no such test, as I applied for Biochemistry. Check the admission requirements page of the university for the field you will apply to, to see whether a test is needed.). After - or along with - the test, you may also be asked to provide part of an essay you have written on the subject (nothing major, about 1500 words, and it may not even be required. Check the admission requirements for this as well!) If you do well on any tests and/or they like your personal statement, you will be shortlisted for interview, for which you will have to go to the university, as you are a resident within the EU. After your interviews (usually everyone has 2) you will be informed about whether you got an offer or not.

TL;DR: If your predicted grades are above 39, you will not be at disadvantage.

The process might seem daunting, but there is a silver lining: your personal statement is the same for all universities you apply for, which means that you can use the same application for up to five universities within the UK. Also, since the deadline for applying to Oxford is in October, you'll have five of your applications done by the time IB2 goes into full swing.

Please feel free to ask me any further questions if anything is unclear. :D  :D  :D

Thank you!

• Like 1

I was predicted 41-42/42 during term 2 but I slacked off too much during term 3 and is currently predicted 39-40/42. I'm also worried because my History HL isn't strong enough and I'm on the boundary of 5/6.

fyi they mean 39 points out of 45 not 42. So your predicted score is more than fine if you're predicted 2-3 bonus points. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was predicted 44/45, did admission test (LNAT) and interview, got an offer with merely (yep, merely) 38 (666 HL) condition, got 44 (777 HL) on the exams (although still going for a remark to get a 45). So it's quite real, I guess  ^_^ Tested it myself  ;)

I've heard that 38 is an average grade among the Oxford applicants (and they put more emphasis on interview performance anyway), so your 41-42 score is perfect  ^_^

You should definitely give it a try, Oxford is the best uni ever! 

Edited by Ann Vishinsky

• 2 weeks later...

You should be fine.. go for it. Good luck! They'd most probably ask you to fly in for an interview too