Physics extended essay

Alexia

Hey guy!

It's my first year of IB and I need a topic for my physics extended essay.

I though of focusing on a solar boat and discussing its efficiency and speed.

Is it a good Idea. Of not could you give more suggestions

Thanks

Your topic is more about engineering than pure physics - you will only be able to write about the boat, or the set of components that you have tested and can't draw any general conclusions. Yes, it will require physical knowledge to perform, but will not be on physics.

But if you're interested in solar boats, they involve a lot of physical phenomena which you can focus on. From aerodynamics (and hydrodynamics), through various propelling systems and steering to power generation and transmission. This all is obviously too much to fit in even three EEs, but these and many more aspects alone can form a good essay.

We can't give you a topic for your EE but the general advice from me is: examine a phenomenon, not a product.

Edited by Slovakov
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guy!

It's my first year of IB and I need a topic for my physics extended essay.

I though of focusing on a solar boat and discussing its efficiency and speed.

Is it a good Idea. Of not could you give more suggestions

Thanks

if you're still thinking about a topic for ee, i would recommend you not to do it in physics

on average, people only get C's on a natural science ee and this would hurt your overall score if you're really dependent on the bonus points

unless your topic is really good (which right now... isnt) and you're like a genius 

• 3 months later...

As a matter of fact, a good physics EE doesn't need a good topic more than it needs a good research question. And then the topic chosen has to be worthy of investigation and this should be demonstrated in the essay. It is not hard to get an A in a physics EE. Just focus on formulating an excellent RQ, and being able to do an experiment to answer the question. Once the experiment is done, everything will be easy. You can start now by introducing(including some relevant background information) the topic and the RQ and why it is worthy of investigation to save time. I mean you can do these things now even if you didn't start the experiment. Feel free to ask any question concerning physics or physics ee at anytime. BTW, I got an A in my physics EE. And one last thing is that it is natural that you will perform the experiment more than once and a lot of silly things will stop you, but just continue and be smart.

• 1 month later...

Hassan76 , How do you know your reasearch questions is 'exellent'?

I'm currently doing my IA on the siphon and what attracted me to it is that the way it works turns out to bemore complicated than most people think. So what I want to be doing is clarify how it works and make demonstrations through experiments. I'm not certain how I'm going to phrase my reasearch question. Is there a general form a reasearch question should take?

• 1 month later...

Hassan76 , How do you know your reasearch questions is 'exellent'?

I'm currently doing my IA on the siphon and what attracted me to it is that the way it works turns out to bemore complicated than most people think. So what I want to be doing is clarify how it works and make demonstrations through experiments. I'm not certain how I'm going to phrase my reasearch question. Is there a general form a reasearch question should take?

I will restate the rubric for the full marks for the ee criterion"research question": The research question is clearly stated in the introduction and sharply focused, making effective treatment possible within the word limit."   First of all, it doesn't have to be in the form of a question, rather than a stated problem.  The RQ must be appropriate to physics, and specific to it, that is not concerned by other factors. It must also be identified clearly and placed in the introduction. When doing an RQ, imagine how your essay or IA will look at the end, how it will be an answer to that question, and ask yourself, is this question worth an IA or EE to be answered?

Credits: http://www.gbaps.org/hs/West/IB/Documents/Physics_Assessment_Criteria_EE.pdf

Edited by Hassan76
  • Like 1