Any recommendations for UK universities?

Tom Hiddleston

Ok, so coming from a country where we eat maple syrup for every meal and ride our moose (or is it meese..?) to school, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for which UK unis to go to?

I know that Cambridge and Oxford are basically like the Harvard and Stanfords (or any of the Ivy League Schools) of U.S., so the competition is high. But other than those two, which obviously are great schools, would there be any other universities that you guys would recommend to go to in the UK?

Wouldn't you want to go to a school that's highly ranked for the subject you want to study and is in a location you like, not just because "it's a good school?"  :wacko: I think you need to do a little bit more work here researching things like that, or give us a little more to work with to help. Because I can name off a ton of schools, but some of those might not be any good at all for what you're considering to study.

Example: one time on here someone was asking about applying to Yale for engineering because "I heard it's a good school and I want to go to a good school" but did no research about the school at all. Yale's engineering program sucks, even though the rest of the school is very good. School prestige isn't everything; the department has to be good too.

• Like 3

Wouldn't you want to go to a school that's highly ranked for the subject you want to study and is in a location you like, not just because "it's a good school?"  :wacko: I think you need to do a little bit more work here researching things like that, or give us a little more to work with to help. Because I can name off a ton of schools, but some of those might not be any good at all for what you're considering to study.

Example: one time on here someone was asking about applying to Yale for engineering because "I heard it's a good school and I want to go to a good school" but did no research about the school at all. Yale's engineering program sucks, even though the rest of the school is very good. School prestige isn't everything; the department has to be good too.

This is great information, thank you! I'm looking to go to the UK for the sciences, but the schools I've looked at are specialized and not really broad like the universities in Canada where you can just apply for "sciences" and then go from there. Also, the unis I've looked at also require HL Chemistry and my school only offers SL, although I've tried to ask if an exception could be made.

From my own research last year I'd say: UCL, King's College London, Imperial, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Warwick. There are probably many many more and I can't say for sure that "wow, those ones are amazing and I won't regret going there". But those are the ones I considered when applying. I didn't want to go to Oxbridge tho : ) Just personal preference. And originally I wanted to apply to Stanford and Princeton in the U.S., but I decided to leave it at the UK.

• Like 1

Well if the concept of uni in canada is the same as the US, then I can say that it is not similar at all to the UK system. Here its all very specific, I mean you have to be really sure of what you want to study. I would say that a very good science university is the university of Manchester. Its campus life is truly amazing and it is just beautiful. Also, a very famous UK physicist called Brian Cox graduated from Manchester, if you can look him up he's great, he does really good physics documentaries l. You also have Durham (which is up North), St Andrews if you are looking for a university in a small place and Bath is also quite good. And also all the others that mhelof mentioned :)

• Like 1

It really depends on what you want to study... and what are your priorities. There are a lot of unis with grats reputation but only in limited areas. For example St. Andrews is though to be one of the best in the country, but you'll find very few engineering or maths options in there. So don't focus on where you want to study but first what you want to do.

Edited by Slovakov
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Russell Group. 

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk

The Russell Group represents 24 leading UK universities which are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience and unrivalled links with business and the public sector.

I personally applied to Oxford, Durham, King's, LSE and Queen Mary - everywhere for Law.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016

There you go! These were The Guardian's rankings, both cumulative and in specific subject areas. Sussex and St. Andrew's were ranked higher than Oxford when it came to chemistry, so yeah, it is important to pick a university based on its specific program, rather than its fame.

• Like 1