Canadian Universities

MeganeQuelvennec

I am currently in IB1 and looking at studying abroad in Canada. Do many universities offer grants? If anyone has any useful pointers on Canadian unis that would be a big help!

I'm looking at universities in Quebec like McGill, because I am half French so I would like to use both my languages, but I would prefer to study in English.

I am looking at taking Human Geography, Sociology or Cultural Anthropology.

Many thanks

• Like 1

McGill is an English university itself so you're good :) 

Most Canadian universities just look at your marks (one that looks at EC's is UBC) and as long as your marks are above the requirement for the field you're going in, you should be fine. 

I'm not sure about the grants thing though.. Maybe you should try and check the individual uni websites? They'll give you info on financial aid and stuff like that. 

• Like 1

Hi,

McGill gives its undergraduate students an automatic 3000$ scholarship as long as they meet the minimum academic requirements (https://www.mcgill.ca/studentaid/scholarships-aid/future-undergrads/entrance-scholarships/criteria)

See https://www.mcgill.ca/studentaid/scholarships-aid/future-undergrads/entrance-scholarships/application-instructions for more info.

McGill loves the IB. The higher your score is above 33,the more money you get. Also if you get a 5 or above in your HL subjects (And a few SL), they can count UP TO 95% of your first year subject credit. i was planning to study Biomed at McGill, it has amazing facilities and is very internationally friendly :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently in IB1 and looking at studying abroad in Canada. Do many universities offer grants? If anyone has any useful pointers on Canadian unis that would be a big help!

I'm looking at universities in Quebec like McGill, because I am half French so I would like to use both my languages, but I would prefer to study in English.

I am looking at taking Human Geography, Sociology or Cultural Anthropology.

Many thanks

Also remember to supplement in lots of extracurricular, as long as your marks are up to par, because extracurricular activities are what bring in the real scholarships.