What are you doing during the summer break? (studying related)

nevis

Thanks for advice ! I just like math, I've taken/self-studied basics of calculus, logarithsms, trigonometry, number theory and stuff. Working on linear algebra atm. I hope it will help me to survive Math HL :S

Seeing as you have a passion for maths and you are willing to learn the key concepts, you should have no issues with HL Maths. Now that's not an excuse to slack off in class. I'd definitely study during your summer break so that you'll be ready to go when the school year begins. (I miss Finland..) You'll have a ton of different stuff to do at the beginning for IB1; however, you did say you were Pre-IB so they probably prepped you a lot better than a student going into IB without any experience. I wish you luck on your endeavors. :)

Thanks for advice ! I just like math, I've taken/self-studied basics of calculus, logarithsms, trigonometry, number theory and stuff. Working on linear algebra atm. I hope it will help me to survive Math HL :S

Seeing as you have a passion for maths and you are willing to learn the key concepts, you should have no issues with HL Maths. Now that's not an excuse to slack off in class. I'd definitely study during your summer break so that you'll be ready to go when the school year begins. (I miss Finland..) You'll have a ton of different stuff to do at the beginning for IB1; however, you did say you were Pre-IB so they probably prepped you a lot better than a student going into IB without any experience. I wish you luck on your endeavors. :)
Thank you :)

Yeah, I hope I will be okay, this far I've done well, I've done Finnish A-math courses somewhat so that it almost equals SL math during Pre-IB, so I think my preliminary knowledge is alright.

Where I have even more room for improvement is literature, where I keep getting 3-4's

Yeah, I hope I will be okay, this far I've done well, I've done Finnish A-math courses somewhat so that it almost equals SL math during Pre-IB, so I think my preliminary knowledge is alright.

Where I have even more room for improvement is literature, where I keep getting 3-4's

What helped me was a ton of different things.

• For novels/other works you have to read in class, make review sheets with main characters, themes, symbols, etc. and refer to them if you have a take-home essay or whatever.
  • For poetry, colour-code your annotations!! This saved my ass hardcore during 1st semester of IB2.
  • You can also make Venn diagrams comparing and contrasting characters, themes, etc from each work (you'll be expected to write essays and whatnot on different aspects)
  • Always look up past papers. Those will be your best friends in terms of getting used to wording and different recurring themes the IB looooovveeesss to reuse

Are you taking English Lit or Finnish Lit? I suppose they'd be the same but I figured English Lit would be easier to find past papers.

• Like 1

What helped me was a ton of different things.

• For novels/other works you have to read in class, make review sheets with main characters, themes, symbols, etc. and refer to them if you have a take-home essay or whatever.
  • For poetry, colour-code your annotations!! This saved my ass hardcore during 1st semester of IB2.
  • You can also make Venn diagrams comparing and contrasting characters, themes, etc from each work (you'll be expected to write essays and whatnot on different aspects)
  • Always look up past papers. Those will be your best friends in terms of getting used to wording and different recurring themes the IB looooovveeesss to reuse
Are you taking English Lit or Finnish Lit? I suppose they'd be the same but I figured English Lit would be easier to find past papers.
I think I'm doing both :S and I hate both as hard but Finnish Lit is worse since books we read are worse than those in English

I think I'm doing both :S and I hate both as hard but Finnish Lit is worse since books we read are worse than those in English

Finnish is my first language actually! But my IB school didn't offer anything A1 except English. I'm proficient in English, but yeah I would have loved to do a bilingual diploma. Ahhh whatever.

How are the books in Finnish Lit harder? I'm actually really interested. In German B we did tons of short stories rather than a long novel - although both HL and SL read a graphic novel titled "drueben!". Very good - I did it for my Written Assignment :) So I don't know if you're doing one as Language B or both as Language A.

• Like 1