Reflective Statement

UK_laura

Hey guys!

I am currently struggelling in writing a reflective statement on a piece of literature I have read and discussed in my German A class. I have no idea on how start the essay, what to write about and what to include. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Laura

Are you sure its a 'reflective statement'?

In a reflective statement, in IB English literature at least, you comment upon what you have learnt in an interactive oral presentation you have done and explain how having learnt elements of culture and context about a piece of literature, you have better understood fundamental elements of the literary piece.

A reflective statement should be 75% about culture and context and 25% about its connection to fundamental aspects of the literary piece. It should be structured almost like a mini essay, with first a thesis saying that you will mention how three elements of culture or context are significant to the literary piece and then three paragraphs going deeper into these.

I have made some notes and tips on writing a reflective statement:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/files/file/3318-tips-and-phrases-for-how-to-write-your-reflective-statement/

Hope it helps :)

Edited by ncarmont
  • Like 1

Hi there, 

if you would like a sample, I wrote a practice Reflective Statement on Macbeth which was awarded 3/3. 

Macbeth Reflective Statement

In her presentation, the presenter focused on several aspects of the culture of the Jacobeans. One important point of the presentation addressed was the influences of King James I of England on Macbeth. Because the monarchs had the power to close down the theatres at whim, obtaining their patronage was imperative. Queen Elizabeth I was an avid audience of theatre, and through her support, theatres were immensely popular. Thus, when King James I ascended the throne, it is no surprise that Shakespeare quickly attempts to gain his favour. Through Macbeth, it is evident that Shakespeare attempts to please King James through means such as emphasizing the divine right of kings and incorporating stereotypical witches.

Firstly, Shakespeare presents kingship as a position designated by God, and that opposing the king would result in the wrath of nature. This explains the numerous natural events that reflect the various plots throughout Macbeth. Moreover, Shakespeare illustrates the importance of having a rightful king, such as King James I, on the throne. For instance, during the reign of Macbeth, the unlawful king, Scotland is portrayed as a sick and suffering country. The only remedy to this sickness is the restoration of the rightful heir to the throne – Malcolm. By suggesting that God and nature support the king, Shakespeare seeks to gain the king’s favour.

Secondly, the presenter informed us that King James I was renowned for writing Daemonologie – a book in which he confirms the existence of witches, and describes them in detail. In fact, we are told that most people in Shakespeare’s time believed in the existence of supernatural beings due to their lack of scientific knowledge and their Christian beliefs. Supernatural beings, like the witches, do indeed play a crucial role in Macbeth. It is also important to note that Shakespeare characterizes the witches according to the stereotypes of his time. Undoubtedly, many of these characteristics would conform to the depiction of witches as seen in Daemonologie. By incorporating the supernatural into his play, Shakespeare provokes interest in his audiences, especially King James I.

Word Count: 355 

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out how to attach files. I hope this helps!

• Like 1