The Visual Arts Help and ideas

DanielCollinson

Dear Fellow Readers,

Currently i'm still in my first year of IB and was wondering to have some thoughts and opinions for my Visual Arts theme. Currently i'm stuck on the problem of weather to have a lot of mixed media pieces (paintings, Portraits, 3D, sculpture etc.)

Here is the question that i am asking, i'm wondering weather i can have all my pieces of art be sculptures or should it be better to have a diversity of media.  FYI currently I am planning to go and study Architecture for University thus the reason of having the majority of my pieces to be 3D. I just want your thoughts and opinions of what you think of ideas and if it is better for diversity. I would also like some ideas if you do that i can do for my theme of "DEVELOPMENT" "CHANGE" 

Thank you!

All of my artwork was 3D. I never submitted a painting or drawing to the IB. I was option B so it was more about the planning than anything else. The theme of development is very broad, try to narrow it down or investigate different aspects of development and change, such as personal change, environmental change, change of beliefs etc. 

Edited by bethiedrama101

• 3 weeks later...

you can of course have all of your work be in 3D.

I would definitely not treat it as a limitation though. Do what you feel like doing. Undergrad for Architecture do not really require an architecture-based portfolio. 

To be perfectly honest I don't understand the need/compulsion to link your work with a common theme. My work was all in the same direction (figuratively) and did not have a named theme and I got a 7 last year. 

For development/change though I would definitely think a little bit more broader into things that are somewhat dynamic (even it that is just visual). Consider makes installations (an art form so freaking underrated) and mixing that with photography to create amazing things. Architecture universities also like when you demonstrate a but of counciensness when it comes to working with light (studio photography is a great example).

In my course (HL) I did quite a few sculptures. I then spent a week in studio getting the photographs of them just right - playing around with flashes, different lights with different saturations. That way whatever I submit to IB (and unis) demonstrates not only my ability to sculpt, but also my photography skills. 

If I were you I would consider installations and photographs with different lighting. Same series of objects or w/e your installation would be could be photographed with different light creating completely different images. A series of photographs along these lines would go a long way not only with the IB, but also with the unis.

I hope any of that makes any sense.

Good luck.