Advice on Physics HL

Qwebster

Setting up my schedule next year & decided to take Physics HL despite being an average math student. I took Algebra 1 Concepts & Algebra 2 Concepts, and am now in Geometry academic. However, I put a great deal of work into my classes (currently have a 98.5 in geo) and am willing to work for good marks. In addition, next year I'll be taking Mathematics SL. Looking for input on my choices, I really want to take Physics HL, but I know it's a lot of math and calculus in particular, which I haven't learned at all yet but will as I take the course. With a tutor to help is it probable I could handle/ do well in the class? Again, ready to work very hard.

Unrelated, I'm also considering taking Philosophy HL, does anyone know if this is credited/ looked upon well by unis? I know it's technically a religion course which is disheartening as many universities discredit religion and factor it out of GPAs. All advice welcome.

Full Proposed Junior Year Schedule:

HL Philosophy

HL English

HL Physics

APUSH MUN

HL French

SL Mathematics

AP Psychology

ib physics is non calc. i take it with math studies and extremely minimal knowledge of calculus and i'm predicted a 6 at hl

philosophy is not religion. philosophy is philosophy and you will need to contact universities yourself to find if they don't count it but i see no reason why they wouldn't

Physics at HL does require a fair amount of calculations, and some differentiation altough this is easily learnt throughout the course. The good think about IB Physics, and IB courses in general is that they ease you into the course, thus little/no prior knowledge is required, and in terms of Mathematical concepts, as long as you grasp the concepts and understand them you'll do fine. Physics is a very intereszting subject which has helped me to gain a much greater prespective of the world, and what happens around me. Go for it. Best of lucks. Any question you might have feel free to P.M me 

The physics course is designed so that a student doing maths studies can do it, therefore you don't need a lot of background maths except some basic knowledge of equations and algebra which you would have learned in middle school/early high school. Some knowledge of calculus and vectors will give you an advantage and maybe make some concepts easier to understand but you'll learn that in SL maths anyway.

As for philosophy, it depends on which university you want to go to and which course. I've never heard of philosophy being considered a religious subject it's always been seen as humanities where I'm from. If you're planning on doing science or maths at university they will be more interested in your groups 4 and 5 subjects than your group 3 subject. Also I would suggest doing 3 HL subjects because HL French (unless you're fluent) and HL physics will be a lot of work.

• 4 weeks later...