Math HL help

Guest SNJERIN

Guest SNJERIN

Hi. So I have been trying to solve this problem but keep ending up with (a=1), hence there would be no area at all. However, the book says that the answer is a= 1+√3, and when you actually test it it does not work. 

post-131733-0-93868600-1427216541_thumb.

I'm also getting that gif.latex?a=1 is the only real solution, so the book seems to be wrong. This result is also is intuitively true, since gif.latex?x^2 grows faster than its inverse for gif.latex?x>1, hence it should never be that case past that point that the two integrals are equal.

I'm not really sure what the book wants you to do either, I don't see the reason to have two equations for gif.latex?a in terms of gif.latex?b. Here's my solution,

Let gif.latex?x, y be the areas of the pink and blue regions respectively. We can note from the graph that 

gif.latex? ab = a^3 = x+ y + 1 \implies

Since we want to solve for a when gif.latex?x=y, by computing gif.latex?y we have,

Which gives us that gif.latex?a^3=1, so we conclude that the only solution in the given range is gif.latex?a=1.

Edited by ctrls

I haven't done any of these for a long time, so correct me if im wrong. Also I can't believe how long the sheer calculations took me. Im getting old...

You method of derivation is exactly correct. However, you did one algebraic mistake towards the end as:

gif.latex? \frac{a^3 - 1}{3} = a^3 - \fr

and not gif.latex? \frac{a^3 - 1}{3} = \frac{2a^

Once, you fix this mistake, then gif.latex? a=1 , which is nonsense because that would mean that the area doesn't exist. It sucks that math textbooks often have so many errors and typing mistakes, wasting much of our valuable time!

Guest SNJERIN

I haven't done any of these for a long time, so correct me if im wrong. Also I can't believe how long the sheer calculations took me. Im getting old...

You method of derivation is exactly correct. However, you did one algebraic mistake towards the end as:

gif.latex? \frac{a^3 - 1}{3} = a^3 - \fr

and not gif.latex? \frac{a^3 - 1}{3} = \frac{2a^

Once, you fix this mistake, then gif.latex? a=1, which is nonsense because that would mean that the area doesn't exist. It sucks that math textbooks often have so many errors and typing mistakes, wasting much of our valuable time!

100% agree with you! and its even more irritating when, after all the practise I have done, I see that my answer didn't agree with the book. However, Its good to see that I was right about my answer from the first attempt.