Should I be worried?

IBdoc

For IB1 we got new and unexperienced teachers for Chem HL and Bio HL! they have thought other regular classes but not IB... Should I be worried? IB2 students got the good and VERY experienced teachers for these two subjects. We just got unlucky and I'm mad about it because I plan on studying medicine and these two subjects are the MOST important. I want to score a 7 in both. What do you think?

[quote name='IBdoc' post='23951' date='Sep 12 2008, 08:20 PM']For IB1 we got new and unexperienced teachers for Chem HL and Bio HL! they have thought other regular classes but not IB... Should I be worried? IB2 students got the good and VERY experienced teachers for these two subjects. We just got unlucky and I'm mad about it because I plan on studying medicine and these two subjects are the MOST important. I want to score a 7 in both. What do you think?[/quote]

well...don't worry..a similar thing happened to me this year (i.e. IB2), and i'm stuck in the same boat as you but i guess it doesn't matter, cause isn't IB all about self-study....i suggest you just revise the chapters regularly and probably can also refer to notes online...

The same thing happened to me..it's the first year we had econ HL at my school so the teachers were new and inexperienced. They didn't even know what IAs were and that we had to submit commentaries for a portfolio. But I still ended up getting a 7 (no thanks to the teachers..).

If you can learn by yourself by reading from the syllabus and textbooks, you'll be fine.

man that bites. You will probably need to do some extra self studying to do as well as you want to (7). But, that shouldn't be too bad. Maybe go to the experienced teachers if you have a question - they probably will be able to help you out more so than your inexperienced teachers. Also, try and make a buddy who is in "IB2" and is taking the same courses as you. They could probably help you out.

[quote name='IBdoc' post='23951' date='Sep 12 2008, 03:50 PM']For IB1 we got new and unexperienced teachers for Chem HL and Bio HL! they have thought other regular classes but not IB... Should I be worried? IB2 students got the good and VERY experienced teachers for these two subjects. We just got unlucky and I'm mad about it because I plan on studying medicine and these two subjects are the MOST important. I want to score a 7 in both. What do you think?[/quote]

that would suck...i would be a little worried, considering it's HL sciences, and chemistry is hard to understand (im SL bio...so dunno about HL)
but one thing you can do is basically ask a lot of questions about the syllabus...and just ask questions in general...if you're in IB1 it doesn't matter as much because you have 1 year to get use to the teacher's teaching methods...

you know what really blows?
i'm in IB2...not only i switched math teachers from year 1 to year 2...my year 2 teacher is on "medical" leave...(no one really knows what happened to him..so yeah) so basically, we have a teacher who never taught IB before...teaching for he-doesn't-even-know-how-long...so we have no idea what to do with IAs and when to start it...'cause October is that time when every teacher starts assigning IAs...

you got away lucky..to have soemthing like that happening in year 1...

last year's IB grads from my school, the Chem HL students had a really experienced teacher for their first year (the best in our school)...and second year, they got an totally inexperienced and young teacher...and they held up pretty okay...not too sure about their graddes, but i know a couple who scored near 40s as overall...

[quote name='TeeBlake' post='24094' date='Sep 14 2008, 04:06 AM']that would suck...i would be a little worried, considering it's HL sciences, and chemistry is hard to understand (im SL bio...so dunno about HL)
but one thing you can do is basically ask a lot of questions about the syllabus...and just ask questions in general...if you're in IB1 it doesn't matter as much because you have 1 year to get use to the teacher's teaching methods...

you know what really blows?
i'm in IB2...not only i switched math teachers from year 1 to year 2...my year 2 teacher is on "medical" leave...(no one really knows what happened to him..so yeah) so basically, we have a teacher who never taught IB before...teaching for he-doesn't-even-know-how-long...so we have no idea what to do with IAs and when to start it...'cause October is that time when every teacher starts assigning IAs...

you got away lucky..to have soemthing like that happening in year 1...

last year's IB grads from my school, the Chem HL students had a really experienced teacher for their first year (the best in our school)...and second year, they got an totally inexperienced and young teacher...and they held up pretty okay...not too sure about their graddes, but i know a couple who scored near 40s as overall...[/quote]

Wow good luck with that! Your school should try to contact the teacher and see what's going on. Isn't there another Math teacher for IB who isn't on a medical leave?
I know Chem HL is a very hard subject... Last year there was this genius boy in IB he got an A in EE and TOK and a 7 in every single subject except Chem HL where he got a 6. That's reassuring ! haha
But our new Chem teacher told us that she attended every single class of IB1 (taught by the experienced teacher) last year! I hope that's true.

Well, I am also Facing the same problem in IB1.... I did IB1 last year in other country and repeating the same again here.. The two teachers here for Physics and Chemistry are new this year.... They just read the whole thing in front of us from the textbooks.... and my fellow classmates have no idea of the real IB questions. Well self studying is not a problem... the only thing is the poorly calibrated Lab Equipment, the lack of few instruments, no lab handouts given etc... For eg, we do not have pipette bulb for pipette, we use our mouth to get the chemical in the pipette....
So all that kind of things indirectly can affect the grades...