How to compare and contrast (not sources)?

annarmkr

Hey guys, 

My teacher just posted this question, that we have to write a paper on: 

"Why did the revolutionaries win in the Spanish Civil War and in the Algerian War 1954-62?" 

But then she wants us to compare and contrast. I've only ever compared and contrasted sources before, so I'm unsure of how to tackle this assignment. Do I need to provide sources? Do I need to first explain why the Nationalists won in the Spanish Civil War, secondly why FLN won in the Algerian war, and then compare and contrast the two wins?  :unsure:

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!  :D

Hey guys, 

"Why did the revolutionaries win in the Spanish Civil War and in the Algerian War 1954-62?" 

But then she wants us to compare and contrast. I've only ever compared and contrasted sources before, so I'm unsure of how to tackle this assignment. Do I need to provide sources? Do I need to first explain why the Nationalists won in the Spanish Civil War, secondly why FLN won in the Algerian war, and then compare and contrast the two wins?  :unsure:

Weird, to me, the question doesn't really ask for a compare and contrast, unless it would've stated so directly?  :huh:  To me, it is asking more about why did the revolutionaries win, therefore you should provide evidence. Ask your teacher again, to be sure. :)

• Like 1

Hey guys, 

Weird, to me, the question doesn't really ask for a compare and contrast, unless it would've stated so directly?  :huh:  To me, it is asking more about why did the revolutionaries win, therefore you should provide evidence. Ask your teacher again, to be sure. :)

This is exactly whats confusing to me, because she wrote "compare and contrast" next to the question in brackets :o

The implication is that there were different reasons for winning in the two wars. Or different conditions which led to victory. As Noticeably Absent rightly points out you should check what your teacher has in mind.

It IS very strange that the compare/contrast is not integrated into the question ... just tacked on like an after-thought. Highly unusual.

Edited by Blackcurrant

The implication is that there were different reasons for winning in the two wars. Or different conditions which led to victory. As Noticeably Absent rightly points out you should check what your teacher has in mind.

It IS very strange that the compare/contrast is not integrated into the question ... just tacked on like an after-thought. Highly unusual.

It really was highly unusual. However, I asked my teacher, and she basically just restated the question. I ended up doing a pretty short paper on how the different victors had similar or different tactics... But it turned out quite bad to be honest. Thank you though! 

• 1 month later...

In this case, I think you are asked to compare the similarities and differences between the reasons for winning two wars. It is good to add in Historiography, whether to help you explain the reasons or illustrate the similarities and differences. You do do not need to explain the reasons independently, it should be in the same paragraph as your comparison.

Example structure of a comparison essay paragraph:

1.The reason for Nationalist victory in the Spain Civil War was due to foreign aid.

2. Explanation

3. State whether foreign aid is also a reason for FLN victory

4. Explanation

5. One brief sentence to summarize what you have said in the paragraph. Emphasis either the difference or similarity.