McLovin

I set up my classes for my first year as a full IB student:

HL Literature

HL History

SL/HL Biology 1, 2

SL Math 1, 2

Spanish 4

TOK

I wanted to hear some of your thoughts and comments on my classes? What the work is like, which classes are the hardest/easiest, etc...

I'm in HL English Lit, HL history, HL biology and SL math 

English: it's honestly not bad and it's a lot of fun. The books you read are super interesting and I suggest taking notes for each book you read. Writing IB commentaries requires practice. 

History: a lot of work, but has really interesting content. Know that it is not something you study the night before. You have to be able to understand the content and develop your own position on things. Be sure to look at the rubric before entering an in class IB history essay because they expect very specific things and understand your command terms well. 

Biology: I find it to be the easiest IB subject. As long as you know your command terms, do a couple of review questions and you're able to understand concepts and link them together, you'll be ok. Again, try not to study everything the night before a test. Try and do a bit everyday if you can. For IB, you have to know how to draw diagrams by memory, so yeah that's one thing you cannot study the night before. What would really help is if your teacher gives you the curriculum outcomes so that you know what to expect for IB exams. 

Math: Cannot really say because I haven't started it yet. I have it next year since I have to do two curriculums and the one I'm doing now is technically math studies (it is a requirement for our regular diploma), but I did some IB content in grade 10 and we're doing some IB content this year before we actually hit IB math SL. Judging from the IB content, it doesn't seem to be too hard. Just do lots of practice. 

TOK: It can be a pain in the butt, but sometimes I find it enjoyable. This is basically it in a nutshell: how do we know what we know? We don't. It really messes with your mind sometimes, but it also kind of helps you discover your inner philosopher lol :P 

Spanish: I'm in Spanish ab initio so I can't really say a lot for Spanish 4. :P All I can tell you is that IB is super picky about accents, so make sure you watch out for that and it is another subject you don't study the night before since it's a language and with languages, you have to link stuff together. 

• Like 1

I'm in HL English Lit, HL history, HL biology and SL math 

English: it's honestly not bad and it's a lot of fun. The books you read are super interesting and I suggest taking notes for each book you read. Writing IB commentaries requires practice. 

History: a lot of work, but has really interesting content. Know that it is not something you study the night before. You have to be able to understand the content and develop your own position on things. Be sure to look at the rubric before entering an in class IB history essay because they expect very specific things and understand your command terms well. 

Biology: I find it to be the easiest IB subject. As long as you know your command terms, do a couple of review questions and you're able to understand concepts and link them together, you'll be ok. Again, try not to study everything the night before a test. Try and do a bit everyday if you can. For IB, you have to know how to draw diagrams by memory, so yeah that's one thing you cannot study the night before. What would really help is if your teacher gives you the curriculum outcomes so that you know what to expect for IB exams. 

Math: Cannot really say because I haven't started it yet. I have it next year since I have to do two curriculums and the one I'm doing now is technically math studies (it is a requirement for our regular diploma), but I did some IB content in grade 10 and we're doing some IB content this year before we actually hit IB math SL. Judging from the IB content, it doesn't seem to be too hard. Just do lots of practice. 

TOK: It can be a pain in the butt, but sometimes I find it enjoyable. This is basically it in a nutshell: how do we know what we know? We don't. It really messes with your mind sometimes, but it also kind of helps you discover your inner philosopher lol :P

Spanish: I'm in Spanish ab initio so I can't really say a lot for Spanish 4. :P All I can tell you is that IB is super picky about accents, so make sure you watch out for that and it is another subject you don't study the night before since it's a language and with languages, you have to link stuff together. 

Thank you! :) Very helpful reply. Glad to know that most of the content will be interesting.

English A HL really depends on your teacher, but nevertheless it's designed as a really great course! I think it's a very advisable decision to take HL, especially if you are a native speaker.

For History HL, just speaking from experience, what I have realized in the last 6 months is that basically no one can get a 7 in IBDP History HL. If you can pull of a 6 that's really, really good. This is frustrating as the topics covered in the class are interesting and we have energized class discussions and debates. But if you are very conscious about getting a perfect grade--do not take that class! It is much easier to get a 7 in Economics or Business. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1