Is this question even possible ?

Guest SNJERIN

Guest SNJERIN

Hi. 

I have been trying to solve this question for a while now, but nothing seem to work. In fact, I have started to think that there is something wrong here. 

I get that z is pure imaginary only if |z| = 1. So please help me out here. 

post-131733-0-45365500-1425587143_thumb.

I get that z is pure imaginary only if |z| = 1. So please help me out here. 

Not really. "Pure imaginary" means that the complex number must only consist of the imaginary part. In other words, if gif.latex? z = a + bi , then gif.latex? z is pure imaginary only if gif.latex? Re(z) = a = 0

Using this as the starting point, the problem becomes much easier. We basically just have to show that for gif.latex?z to satisfy the condition, then gif.latex? a must be zero, while gif.latex? b can be any real number. The steps are as follow:

1. Let gif.latex? z=a+bi . Substitute this into the equation, we have: gif.latex?\left|\frac{a+bi+1}{a+bi-1}\ri
  2. By doing a few steps of algebraic manipulations, we will get this polynomial in the end: gif.latex?a^3 - 2a^2 +ab^2 +a =0
  3. Solving for gif.latex?a , we get: gif.latex? a = 0; a = \frac{2 \pm \sqrt{
  4. However, since we know that both gif.latex? a and gif.latex?b must be real, then the only possible solution for gif.latex? a is 0, while there's no restrictions whatsoever on what gif.latex?b has to be. Hence, we have proven that gif.latex?z must be a pure imaginary number

If you have any further question, please feel free to ask :)

• Like 2

I did it in a different way as I don't get what vioh was saying -- it is me, I am stupid.

what I have is -----    I simplified the question into I z + 1 I = I z - 1 I

Then expended it into the only 4 cases, which is

1, z + 1  = z - 1 ---- cant exist ,

2, z + 1 = -z + 1 --- solve it , eventually get z = 0, which means it has only imaginary part.

3, -z - 1 = Z - 1 --- solve it, get z = 0, which means it has only imaginary part

4, -z + 1 = -z + 1 --- z = 0, cant exist.

I hope it makes sense, I cant really explain stuffs but it is just another alternative to solve this question , if I did it correctly.

Hello, I gave it a go also and I'm just wondering if I did it correctly at all. Here was my solution:

1. |(z+1)/(z-1)|, replacing z with z=a +bi

2. |(a+bi+1)/(a+bi-1)| =1, because taking the modulus of a complex number is the same as taking the magnitude, I go ahead and take the magnitude using the general formula |z|=sqrt(a2+b2)

3. Sqrt( ((a+1)2+b2)/((a-1)2+b2))=1, squaring everything and rearranging

4. a2+2a+1+b2=a2-2a+1+b2, rearranging again

5. 4a=0

6. a=0

Hence for the modulus to hold true, a must be equal to zero which means that the complex number only has an imaginary part. 

Edited by maturk
  • Like 1