How many IB points do I need?

Ian L

Hi,

I was just wondering how many IB points do I really need for the listed universities?

UBC

McGill

Kent

I am in grade 11 semester 2 and currently getting around 30 IB points. However I do take hard subjects like Physics HL and Chem Hl. I think I will be able to get around 34 points by the end of this semester.

Thanks!! 

but for UBC the requirement grades are really low for a top 100 university. For example, if I wanna study economics,  the minimum score is 24 points and 5 for SL math.

That's actually the minimum criteria with which are eligible to apply to UBC. Admission can be competitive and this depends from faculty to faculty. Since you are studying Physics HL and Chemistry HL, I am assuming you would apply to the Faculty of Science or Engineering. You stand a chance to get in with 36+. 39-41 will get you in for sure. This is based on what I know from other students who got in and what I've read elsewhere.

If you want to study Economics, you'll be applying to the faculty of Arts. A score above 32 should put you in a comfortable position.

P.S. The thing with UBC is, you also need to focus on the essay questions they ask you while applying. They take that into consideration as well. For me, that's probably what made the difference between acceptance and rejection.

Edited by Great Polar Bear
  • Like 1

Thanks!! 

but for UBC the requirement grades are really low for a top 100 university. For example, if I wanna study economics,  the minimum score is 24 points and 5 for SL math.

That's actually the minimum criteria with which are eligible to apply to UBC. Admission can be competitive and this depends from faculty to faculty. Since you are studying Physics HL and Chemistry HL, I am assuming you would apply to the Faculty of Science or Engineering. You stand a chance to get in with 36+. 39-41 will get you in if you for sure. This is based on what I know from other students who got in and what I've read elsewhere.

If you want to study Economics, you'll be applying to the faculty of Arts. A score above 32 should put you in a comfortable position.

Thanks!! I do want to study Economics and I think I will be able to achieve 32 points even without bonus points

Thanks!! 

That's actually the minimum criteria with which are eligible to apply to UBC. Admission can be competitive and this depends from faculty to faculty. Since you are studying Physics HL and Chemistry HL, I am assuming you would apply to the Faculty of Science or Engineering. You stand a chance to get in with 36+. 39-41 will get you in if you for sure. This is based on what I know from other students who got in and what I've read elsewhere.

Thanks!! I do want to study Economics and I think I will be able to achieve 32 points even without bonus points

Yeah, while applying to UBC (and I think this is common for most Canadian universities), you need to focus on the Faculty requirements, not on your subject of study. This is because once you enter a faculty, you will have the time and options to explore various majors. And so, focus on the faculty requirements. All the best!

Edited by Great Polar Bear