World War I

SinkingShip

well, in technicality, Military ships, even if they are carrying weapons, are allowed to take civillians, if they are in a hazardous scenario. It can be argued that the civillians were in that scenario?

kind of hard to pin point, because:

a) it was like nearly 100 years ago

b) History is written by the victor, and we weren't there :P

• 2 weeks later...

So I understand it was called the Great War until WWII, but I feel like someone has to ask why it was considered a World War? I see France, England, Germany, Italy, Prussia and Russia involved in the war, so what about the other 200 countries in the World? Yes, I know the answer is obvious to those who have studied history long enough; I haven't. Answers?

Well, every country was indirectly involved. For example, japan played a very small role on the Allied side, and Romania was on the side of the Axis powers. Plus, some countries were merged, but not majorly, just throwing a fun fact in. Also, 99% of the rest of the world had become colonies of Europe, for example, India, Africa, and other things. So they had to produce weapons, and provide resources. so they were involved.

Now, I don't know if EVERY country was involved, (must be some small country that is hidden somewhere that wasnt. Got it, one country that was NOT involved was Switzerland, but that's the only country i think of), but most were, maybe not as soldiers (though a lot were, drafts from colonies and countries), and hence the term World War