HL Paper 2 question about GDC

sushichan*-*

I have my mock paper 2 for maths tomorrow (and i know the paper we are going to be tested on is from M14TZ1 lol). I looked at some past papers and GDC seemed really useful to calculate sums. So to save time can I skip expanding some of the first numbers of a series and type everything in the calculator straight away? Do i need to mention that "I used GDC" to get a (M1) point?

I have my mock paper 2 for maths tomorrow (and i know the paper we are going to be tested on is from M14TZ1 lol). I looked at some past papers and GDC seemed really useful to calculate sums. So to save time can I skip expanding some of the first numbers of a series and type everything in the calculator straight away? Do i need to mention that "I used GDC" to get a (M1) point?

Yes, you can definitely use GDC to calculate the sums (as long as you're sure that using it will save your time). For example, this is how to calculate the sum of the sequence gif.latex? u_n = 2n -1 from the first term to the 7th term, using the Ti-84:

post-115475-0-72497200-1424201785_thumb.

You can get the 'sum' command from: 2nd --> STAT --> MATH --> sum(

and you get the 'seq' command from: 2nd --> STAT --> OPS --> seq(

The beautiful thing about the GDC is that you can calculate the sum of any sequences, not only just the arithmetic & the geometric ones.

When you use your GDC, you should write the following on your exam: "From GDC, ....bla bla bla....", or "By using GDC, the answer is .... bla bla bla...."

Hope this helps, and good luck with your mocks :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...