Help !

2cool4IB

Hello everyone !

I´ll be starting at the IB programe this year.

I haven´t figured out what subjects to  choose yet but it will probably look something like this.

(I got a pre IB year in my school, but I thought that it would be easier  choosing my subjects now )

HL:

Physics

English/Math

Chemistry

Standard Level:

Swedish

English/Math

Psychology/ Bussiness and Management.

Extra: Biology

I was just wondering if you could give me a few tips on what books to read before the IB so that I´ll be prepared for it.

And is it really as hard as everyone keeps saying ?

I´m willing to spend 2-4 hours every day studying but does the IB programe require more time than that to get top grades?

I know that it´s not the same for everyone but, how much time did you spend studying and how many points did you graduate with ?

I´m really sorry for my English. I hope it wasn´t to hard to understand what i was trying to say.

Can anyone explain what ToK and CAS is ?

Ok. Your combination is almost similar to mine and I too will be doing the IBDP this year. I have taken math HL and English SL.

I'm not so sure about the books because frankly I have no clue which ones to read. But I suggest you go through some online courses taking random topics at hand like pre calculus and maybe a basic course of vectors or something. This might help you prepare for the IB. It's only hard if you procrastinate and do not follow lessons in class. Actually even the easiest course for year 11 & 12 will be hard if you don't follow the aforementioned things. I think 2-4 hrs a day with a little extra efforts during the weekends should do be fine to get top grades. Maybe a little extra hours when you have to do your IA's and all that.

TOK stands for 'Theory of Knowledge'. Basically questioning how what's what and whys why and so on for each subject. I too don't know much about TOK.

CAS stands for 'Creativity, Action and Service' . You need to complete 50 hrs of each of these 3 things. So that's 150 hrs. If you don't you don't get your diploma. Creativity can include things like learning a language or musical instrument. Action can include things like playing a sport. Service can include things like tutoring.

If my answer answered your question I understood what you were trying to say.

Ok. Your combination is almost similar to mine and I too will be doing the IBDP this year. I have taken math HL and English SL.

I'm not so sure about the books because frankly I have no clue which ones to read. But I suggest you go through some online courses taking random topics at hand like pre calculus and maybe a basic course of vectors or something. This might help you prepare for the IB. It's only hard if you procrastinate and do not follow lessons in class. Actually even the easiest course for year 11 & 12 will be hard if you don't follow the aforementioned things. I think 2-4 hrs a day with a little extra efforts during the weekends should do be fine to get top grades. Maybe a little extra hours when you have to do your IA's and all that.

TOK stands for 'Theory of Knowledge'. Basically questioning how what's what and whys why and so on for each subject. I too don't know much about TOK.

CAS stands for 'Creativity, Action and Service' . You need to complete 50 hrs of each of these 3 things. So that's 150 hrs. If you don't you don't get your diploma. Creativity can include things like learning a language or musical instrument. Action can include things like playing a sport. Service can include things like tutoring.

Thank you !

Actually for CAS you don't need  count anymore by hours. They now count by learning outcomes and also a combo of a equally done activities of each (Creativity, Action and Service) :D

Actually for CAS you don't need  count anymore by hours. They now count by learning outcomes and also a combo of a equally done activities of each (Creativity, Action and Service) :D

No way.......................... how many times do you have to fulfill each learning outcome? 

I have no idea if this is something only occurring in Denmark, but you really can't tell yourself - your CAS supervisors have to decide. 

I have no idea if this is something only occurring in Denmark, but you really can't tell yourself - your CAS supervisors have to decide. 

In New Zealand, we're also using the objectives method. We have to complete each objective twice.

Wow only now I start to appreciate my coordinator - she's not making a fuss out of specific objectives, but only insists that we do activities until December IB2. And they have to be sensible and not just one-time stands, but you can do pretty much anything. :)

Edited by mechnight